Talk

Advanced search

Night feeding for 4 month old help!

(7 Posts)
Babyb2013 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:16:36

My daughter is 16 weeks old and for the last week we have stopped giving her a dream feed at 10.30pm.
She has a bedtime routine, bath at 6 and bottle at 6.30 for bed at 7.15-7.30. She is taking 7oz during the day and sometimes cries when she has drained the bottle and has another oz!! (Only odd time for now) we stopped the dream feed as she seemed to struggle to pass wind during the night, she dropped the night feed off herself a few weeks back. And so has a bottle at 6-7am when she wakes up. She is still a fidgety sleeper, but doesn't struggle with wind. She stirs regularly and has to have her dummy back, sometimes she stirs every half an hour, but never cries for a bottle, she is still asleep. We thought this maybe the 4 month sleep regression she is going through? As she is struggling with napping for long during the day too, which she didn't do before.
I spoke to the health visitor the other week when we had done 1 night without a dream feed and she said yes if she is filli up in day it's fine for her to go all night and she would let is know if she's hungry. The when I saw a different one this week for a weigh, she said she is having a growth spurt and needs a feed when she stirs, we don't know what to do!! What do people think is best? We are confused!!

stopeatingbiscuits Mon 24-Mar-14 19:29:59

If she is gaining weight well and sleeping through, don't dream feed her.

If she starts waking in the night and is hungry, reinstate the dream feed

:-)

Babyb2013 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:36:58

Thanks, that's what we thought. I did try doing what one of the health visitors said and feeding her when she stirred, when I turned the lamp on to look at her she was still asleep just fidgeting but she then woke and did take 4oz but I think that was just because it was there! Yes she is gaining weight, she's on the 25th percentile. Like I said she does stir a lot but doesn't wake up, to me that not telling me she's hungry. It's so confusing! Just want to do the right thing! Some people have told me to try baby rice now she is 4 months to fill her up a bit more but don't want to yet

Pregnantagain7 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:07:51

I'm always very wary of dropping the dream feed until they are well established on solids. I just think if you are lucky enough to have a baby that sleeps from half ten unti sevenish don't mess with it! I can't see the benefit of dropping a milk feed to replace with baby rice when they are still so young.

My youngest is six and a half months old and is having three decent meals a day we have only just started to reduce the amount he is having at his half ten feed smile

Pregnantagain7 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:09:46

Oh and by the way a good way to tell she is ready to drop her dream feed is if she starts cutting back on her 7am bottle.

Chocoholism Wed 26-Mar-14 11:42:46

Hi reading with interest here, wondering what you mean pregnantagain7 do you mean having less of the 7am feed? I.e not drinking as much? Thanks and sorry for hijacking!

Babyb2013 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:04:53

Yes I wondered what was meant by that. She always drinks the same amount normally on every feed, apart from the dream feed which she only took 2-3 oz. which I thought might've another reason she would be ok without. I just didn't want to be giving her something she didn't want

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now