Talk

Advanced search

Is moving childcare difficult for young toddlers??

(5 Posts)
SquidgersMummy Mon 24-Mar-14 00:59:15

In brief my DH works away in the week. Through his work he has a place to stay. Me and DD are settled and in a routine. We live in a great place and we'd never move but there's not a lot of work here. I had a year off with DD and then we had some months where DH did the childcare so she's only been with a childminder since Jan. She's taken a while to settle to it all as going to a childminder coincided with daddy being away etc, I only work part-time, she's our PFB and not been left etc etc. She's only just cracked it really. A great job (for me) has come up near to where DH is working. We could live together and have a new routine of being one place on a week and coming back home on the weekend ..but I feel terrible about moving DD. The up side is seeing daddy all week and mummy not being pissed off she isn't doing all the grind on her own in the week and it would help us try to make a sibling too. Once they've settled once and figured out you will come back do they find it easier to settle somewhere new or will it be a long job again...don't know what to do? I feel guilty that most of this is for me but I also think we won't be able to do such fluid living once she's in school, so do it now? WWYD Any thoughts?? X

fairylightsintheloft Mon 24-Mar-14 09:56:43

I think even if it does result in a bit of disruption for your DD you have to do the right thing for your family as a whole. they'll be lots of times that your DD will have to get used to new situations, nursery, school etc and you may well find she'll settle quicker this time. DS took a long time to settle at his first pre-school but was much quicker to get sorted out with the new one when he moved and ran into school on the first day no problem at all.

SquidgersMummy Mon 24-Mar-14 14:37:51

Thanks fairy - it's always hard to know if you're doing the right thing isn't it x

Metalhead Tue 25-Mar-14 08:35:56

Do what you think is right and better for the long term. We moved house when DD was about 1.5, and she settled quite quickly at her new nursery compared with the first one she went to when she was just under 1.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 26-Mar-14 06:46:55

We found the first time was the hardest - when they're getting used to being away from you.
Second time was easier, 9 months later, but still required some settling in.
Sounds like it would be worth it in the long run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now