Talk

Advanced search

What's the tooth fairys going rate these days?

(35 Posts)
nldm1 Sun 23-Mar-14 20:28:00

DS lost his first baby tooth today, bless him :-)
When I was little we got 20p, but that won't buymuch of anything these days, so I was just wondering what other people gave.

gamerchick Sun 23-Mar-14 20:28:53

quid

DontCallMeBaby Sun 23-Mar-14 20:30:22

£2 for first one, £1 thereafter. However DD was so thrilled with the £2 coin that she took it to school and lost it, so I can't really recommend it. hmm

Dinosaursareextinct Sun 23-Mar-14 20:34:46

20p

Artandco Sun 23-Mar-14 20:35:17

£2

bellablot Sun 23-Mar-14 20:41:55

20p

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 23-Mar-14 20:43:16

50p until a few weeks ago when one of the DC's had a reading book from school where the tooth fairy paid £1!

Xfirefly Sun 23-Mar-14 20:44:31

few years back I was babysitting DNeice and was put on toothfairy duty. BIL gave me £3 to put under her pillow shock

I always had a pound and DD will have the same

ilikeyourface Sun 23-Mar-14 20:45:00

I did £1 for first tooth £2 pounds for second £3 for third so on so on till I got to a fiver then stopped and from then on it was a fiver each tooth

Dinosaursareextinct Sun 23-Mar-14 20:50:50

How long did people pay up for? DD is 11 and I have stopped paying. She was not happy.

DontCallMeBaby Sun 23-Mar-14 20:55:29

I'll pay as long as teeth come out. Ones that are supposed to, that is! Losing teeth is such a bloody trauma (literally, especially the time DD ended up splitting blood down the washbasin in Zizzi) that I'm only too happy to hand the money over.

nldm1 Sun 23-Mar-14 21:08:14

Thanks everyone. I think we'll go for £1.
He's a saver, so I know it'll eventually go on something he really wants :-)
Also wondered, do people keep their kids baby teeth? And what do you say if your child asks what happens to them?

Dinosaursareextinct Sun 23-Mar-14 21:11:35

I suspect that most children spend the money on sweets, so not a great idea to give them large sums when they're growing adult teeth!
At an art gallery recently I saw an exhibit made out of baby teeth, which people were invited to contribute to. Yuck. There was also a chair padded with human fat, and other revolting stuff.
I wouldn't want to keep more than one.

PirateJones Mon 24-Mar-14 06:44:07

£1 and a trip to poundland.

Artandco Mon 24-Mar-14 07:37:43

Dino- that's why I figure £2 is ok now. At least if they save x2 lots they can buy a cheap book/ you. To get £4 from 20p would take a whole mouth of teeth and a long time!

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Mar-14 10:06:49

Um... I used to teach reception and according to them (granted this was a fairly affluent area) we were talking everything from £1 a tooth to (gulp) a fiver a tooth but a tenner for the first tooth bonus!

Bloody tooth fairy must be doing better out of the economy than the rest of us!

badidea Mon 24-Mar-14 10:12:54

Wow - folk are way more generous than I'm gonna be when my eldests teeth start falling out. I used to get 10p for a tooth (showing my age?)

I reckon he'll get 20p per tooth (although DH might talk me up to 50p) no way I'm giving him a pound every time he loses a tooth, as for a fiver? People clearly have way more money than me!

Illumanting Mon 24-Mar-14 10:24:44

Going rate here is £2 for the first and £1 for subsequent teeth. I used to get 20p and having checked the inflation rate over the last 40 year a £1 is actually pretty comparable.

LyndaCartersBigPants Mon 24-Mar-14 10:25:07

Ours get £1 usually, but it's £2 for a first one, or if it is also their birthday, or if the tooth fairy forgets is too busy one night and has to come the next night.

I know a little boy who has adult siblings still living with him who got 4 x £5 (mum dad + 2 siblings!) Everyone else in foundation was shock & envy

Ithinkwerealonenow Mon 24-Mar-14 10:29:42

£2 here, it was only meant to be £2 for the first one, but we're suckers and it's carried on at that rate. Nothing to do with the amount really, just because the £2 coin is pretty and seems like a special coin.

NickyEds Mon 24-Mar-14 10:30:17

When I was little the tooth fairy gave 50p but my Grandma offered me £1 for them so I sold my teeth to her instead!!!!!

TinyTear Mon 24-Mar-14 10:36:17

My DD is only 2 and just got her final molar, the pain they gave to grow I will go for £1 or £2 for molars and canines

AugustRose Mon 24-Mar-14 10:36:50

Ours get �1.

Lynda I know what you mean, my daughter told me her friend was given �10 shock but she wasn't the only one apparently, a few of them were given �10.

Dinosaursareextinct Mon 24-Mar-14 10:40:41

Why do some people give so much - 5 pounds is a huge sum for a young child? It's as if they want any excuse to shower their kids with vast sums of money - why?

LilllyLovesLife Mon 24-Mar-14 12:28:59

I give a £2 coin. You can't get much for any less really nowadays. Yes 20p or so was OK when I was little but things cost more nowadays and I also wouldn't want mine spending it on sweets really, which is all you will get for anything less than at least £1. I would rather give a bit more and her be able to buy a book or something with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now