Talk

Advanced search

Toddler milk

(15 Posts)
TerrifiedMothertobe Sun 23-Mar-14 18:54:50

Our 30 month old drinks about 2 pts a day, mist from a bottle before bed. I hate the bottle but he adores it and has no other comforter (aside from his teddy). But, it's time to potty train and we gagne his bum 3 hrs after bedtime and he's still soaked the next say.

How much milk are your cherubs drinking!?

ExBrightonBell Sun 23-Mar-14 19:25:34

That's a lot of formula. For ordinary cows milk the recommendation is about 300ml a day, and not more than 1pt. I guess the same would be true of toddler milk.

Does he drink water, or will he only drink formula? How is he weight wise?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Mar-14 19:31:36

two pints sounds like too much. 300 mls of cow's milk is recommended from 1 year.

mumofboyo Sun 23-Mar-14 19:37:06

You could just go cold turkey with the bottle: throw it away and offer him a cup only? Or even only offer water (or something he doesn't like) in the bottle and everything else - everything nice that he really likes - in a cup of his choice? You could also take him to the shop and "swap" the bottle for a "big boys'" cup of his choice?
Anyway, my dc (18 months and 3 in a fortnight) only have a cupful of cows' milk in the morning and again in the evening. At all other times they have water or juice. I don't change their nappies overnight and they're not overly wet the following morning. Ds (eldest) has just potty trained and is beginning to be dry overnight too, holding it and having a big wee upon waking.

stargirl1701 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:41:34

18 month old DD has about 400ml of cows milk a day in a sippy cup. She dropped her bedtime bottle last month. We only offer milk at mealtimes. Water is available all day in a sippy cup.

Next step: open cup! We are thinking we'll make the switch in the summer.

ZuleikaD Sun 23-Mar-14 19:53:30

I agree it's too much milk, so that's one thing to address - how much is he eating during the day that he's got room for more than a pint of formula at bedtime?? You may want to consider upping his general dairy intake (and drop the toddler milk, it's a con).

Secondarily, though, he's very young to be dry at night. Is he trained during the day? because that's where you start. They're often much later to train during the night because it's not 'training' as such - there's a hormone that kicks in (for boys it's often close to 5 years old) and enables them to hang on.

neversleepagain Sun 23-Mar-14 21:12:27

18 months and about 400ml of cows milk morning and evening in sippy cups. We made the move from bottles to sippy cups last week. They didn't seem to even notice, wish I had just done it earlier on.

Albertatata Sun 23-Mar-14 21:34:28

My DS is 30 months also and drinks about 100mls each day before bed. Lots of diary in diet, milk on cereal etc

McPheezingMyButtOff Sun 23-Mar-14 21:37:38

Dd is 20 months, and across a 24hr period, gets through 1pint of full fat milk.

TerrifiedMothertobe Sun 23-Mar-14 21:54:19

He already has a massive appetite, and has lots of dairy, veg and fruit. He is only allowed very dilute squash, water and milk. He just loves his (cows) milk. He tends to drink more when poorly - as he has been.

He would never fall for the big boy cup, the bottle is a baby hangover at bedtime.

I may just cut down on his milk at bedtime and see hoe daytime potty training goes!

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Mar-14 06:28:51

Well, he shouldn't have squash at all, really. But good luck with ditching the bottle.

McPheezingMyButtOff Mon 24-Mar-14 07:40:22

The only way forward, after all this time, is cold turkey I reckon.

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Mar-14 07:42:12

Bottle fairy? Comes at night to take the bottles away and leaves a present.

TerrifiedMothertobe Tue 25-Mar-14 18:17:45

He's accepted one bottle of 150ml the last two. Night- we gad to hide the milk, but that's ok. The bottles days are dwindling....

Albertatata Tue 25-Mar-14 19:20:56

Good work! It's often the thought if making the change that is worse than the reality, keep in doing it all week and he will soon not miss it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now