Talk

Advanced search

Cough medicine

(15 Posts)
MadameJ Sat 22-Mar-14 15:57:53

Does anyone know why children under 6 can't have proper cough medicine? My 3.5 yo is desperate for a good night sleep and all the usually things aren't working. Gp has seen her and said it's just a cough but I wish there was something I could give her to help!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Mar-14 20:14:47

apparently there is no evidence that they work plus they can cause side effects such as hallucinations and allergic reactions. The age guide was changed in 2009.

www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON038908

Bedsheets4knickers Sat 22-Mar-14 21:44:40

Cough medicines are a farce. You cough from the lungs the medicine goes into the stomach . No use whatsoever

mymiraclebubba Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:21

Kids cough medicine is more about easing their throats than stopping their coughing unfortunately! Is tixylix back on sale yet? That help my dd settle when she was 4 months and coughing like mad

honeycrest Sat 22-Mar-14 22:43:00

Bedsheets are you serious? Most medications aren't administered directly to the site they are needed and yet they still work. They are absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach lining.

I had this recently when my toddler had a bad cough and cold. I ended up giving her some anti allergy medicine which could be used for her age group and it helped somewhat

ZuleikaD Sun 23-Mar-14 19:49:14

Cough medicine is not absorbed via the stomach - it is as Bedsheets says - they are designed to work by soothing the throat. Honey works just as well but you can't give honey to an under-1.

PirateJones Sun 23-Mar-14 19:53:25

*Does anyone know why children under 6 can't have proper cough medicine?*
It stop the coughing reflex that is used when the airways get blocked.

MsUumellmahaye Sun 23-Mar-14 19:59:16

sugary water, don't waste your cash.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 23-Mar-14 20:24:53

Yes I'm serious . Medicines that reach the stomach dissolve into the blood stream. This however helps the cough by zero effect.

honeycrest Sun 23-Mar-14 20:26:47

Some cough medicines contain antitussive drugs though such as DXM. These ones aren't just for soothing the throat and would be absorbed through the stomach.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 23-Mar-14 20:38:14

I swear if you could cure a cough or help a cough the doctors would prescribe it

Vickybroxbourne Sun 23-Mar-14 20:47:18

Coughing has evolved as a protective reflex to bring mucus up from the lungs and prevent secretions from going down, hence why doctors don't recommend cough medicines.

honeycrest Sun 23-Mar-14 20:51:35

There are prescription cough medicines here in the US. I agree though, unless it's debilitating then soothing the throat and trying to clear out the mucus is probably better.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 23-Mar-14 21:02:28

Mucus contains antibodies which helps fight the infection . The body sometimes over compensates and makes to much. Which then causes coughing fits .

ThePippy Mon 24-Mar-14 14:20:08

If the cough is caused by post nasal drip associated with a very runny nose/cold then the best thing you can do is to dry them out and keep their breathing clear. I find a combination of piriton (to dry them), calpol (to sooth any throat pain), a menthol/vapour plugin plus a few drops of olbas oil near them works as good as you will get. Make sure there head is well elevated too, tricky if they are the type to wriggle down off their pillow.

For a dry cough it is more tricky as it is usually internal irritation that is causing the cough, but drinking lots and maybe honey & lemon drink.

Also if there is a herbal remedy for coughing that does definitely work (adults & children) and it is fine for 2yrs+ which is Ivy Thyme by a company called Vogel.

Good luck - night time coughing is miserable for everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now