Talk

Advanced search

How to stop thumb sucking?

(14 Posts)
SweetieTime Sat 22-Mar-14 12:20:48

I have 14 week old b/g twins. Both have been offered dummies from very early. DS takes a dummy but DD has seemed less interested. In the last week or so DD has started sucking her thumb. She doesn't seem to favour either hand and is happy with either. It is more than just chewing or sucking her fist. I often discover her asleep with her thumb in.

I don't really want her to suck her thumb as fear it will be more difficult habit to break than a dummy but I am not sure what to do about it. All I have done so far is remove her thumb each time I see her sucking it and offer her a dummy instead.

Is it too early to worry about this and I should just let her continue or try to get her out of it now before it does become a proper habit? if so, any tips how to stop it?

Footle Sat 22-Mar-14 12:53:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lockie1983 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:07:07

What the pp said. When they get to the spitting out dummy in the night stage and screaming for mum to pop it back in every ten minutes you'll be glad she has a thumb to find!

ThursdayLast Sat 22-Mar-14 13:11:54

Man alive, DS in nearly 1 and I still thank my lucky stars he sucks his thumb smile
I'm not sure what you can do about it, short of constant swaddling.??

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 13:16:28

One of mine was a thumb sucker and I did try to remove it while she slept etc. However it was unstoppable.

She kept it up until about age 6, I went through agonies thinking she'd have to have a brace fitted.

However, she decided herself that it was babyish and stopped (I think her leg was pulled about it at school), and the teeth have settled nicely.

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:17:39

aww they sound just like mine!
btw my dd still sucks her thumb and she is 15 grin (only when she is at home and feeling tired though, you know time and a place and all that)
i did go through a phase of trying to stop her but not when she was tiney, anyway it did not work.
my son on the other hand was really annoying with his dummy and would throw it across the room and then scream for it...endlessly.

IForgotMyPencil Sat 22-Mar-14 13:18:21

I am in my twenties and still suck my thumb. some habits can't be broken. wink

SweetieTime Sat 22-Mar-14 14:07:01

thanks for the replies. I guess I will just have to get over myself and leave her to it. She does look very cute and has even fallen asleep sucking DS thumb if they get too close in the cot.
I know there are a million other things to stress about.

lockie1983 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:25:23

Oh my! The image of her sucking her twins thumb ... Adorable.

TimeToThinkOfYourFuture Sat 22-Mar-14 21:27:28

My DD is three and I have always been so grateful that she sucks her thumb- it makes for a quieter life!

ThursdayLast Sat 22-Mar-14 21:30:56

Love the thought of twinnie thumb sucking smile cute

mymiraclebubba Sat 22-Mar-14 21:54:45

Hate to disillusion you but dummies don't stop thumb sucking! My dd has had a dummy since she was a few hours old and most nights can be found with both the dummy and her thumb in!

Meglet Sat 22-Mar-14 21:56:58

I wish I knew. DS is 7 and it's still going on. He'll probably need a brace, he doesn't care <<sigh>>.

I know three other children (all school age) whose parents have tried, failed and despaired over cracking it.

Footle Sat 22-Mar-14 23:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now