Talk

Advanced search

Playdate 101

(2 Posts)
tostaky Fri 21-Mar-14 01:31:06

I really should know by now how it works but I obviously don't. I am probably doing something wrong....
My son is in reception and none of the playdate he has had has been reciprocated. Also nobody has ever asked him for a playdate.

Tell me what I am doing wrong: I chat to the mum about everyday things (weather/school/siblings etc). After a few chats I ask her and her son for a playdate and I say it is because my son mentioned that he played well with her son at school. They usually accept the playdate, the mum come with her child. We have coffee and a chat while the children play. If things get a bit heated between the children or they can't find something to play with, i'llget the play-doh out, that usually work. I give them tea at 5 and then they go shortly after they had their tea.

We live in a flat (no garden) but it is a big flat, in a nice area and it is modern and clean and tidy.

It seems odd to me that we never get ask for a playdate... And even if the problem was me then, I'd be more than happy to leave my son at their place.

I don't think the problem is my son. Ok he is a bit boisterous sometimes, but he is ahead at school, he is never violent, he behaves pretty well too.

What am I doing wrong? How can I find out what the problem is?

mummyxtwo Fri 21-Mar-14 11:44:39

Didn't want to read and run. Tbh that's a bit rude of other parents to accept your hospitality, especially when you provided tea, and not ask back for a return playdate. One or two of ds1's friends' mums seem to have variable timescales on when to ask back, sometimes it has been weeks between playdates. It was months between playdates for one of his best friends because the other boy's mum was concerned that he was very boisterous (her ds) and might behave badly. You might find that your ds gets some quite belated playdate invites. Do they all go to class parties? Do you see him play with other children and how they get on, and who his closest friends are? You could always make an airy remark to one of the mums about how nicely they played together at your house, and you should do it again sometime. Hopefully she'll be embarrassed that she hasn't got around to asking your ds round yet, and will issue an invite. All the best with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now