Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean your babies bottom?

(12 Posts)
ImaLooney Thu 20-Mar-14 20:05:20

Sounds silly to ask doesn't it!!?? I just asked about bathing and it led me to think about this as I just did what I thought was best from start and then I see a friend with a similar age baby who did something different. Basically I use huggies wipes to get rid of all poop then wash over with warm water and cotton wool then sudocrem and nappy.
What's your way?

badidea Thu 20-Mar-14 20:12:11

Initially (for the first 4 weeks) we used cotton wool pads (not balls, too fluffy) and water, then we used disposable baby wipes for a few weeks before realising that the traction (for removing pooh) was pants - so dug out our old reusable cheeky wipes, and have used them ever since.

I only put sudocrem on if there is any nappyrash - I don't use it as a preventative.

HugoTheHippo Thu 20-Mar-14 22:46:33

We use water and cotton wool pads and then wipes if needed on 7mo DD. Only use sudocrem if she looks a bit red, but she's never really had any nappy rash.

mymiraclebubba Thu 20-Mar-14 22:51:02

fragrance free wipes to clean her up and then we dry her off, apply cream if needed and pop a new nappy on

AnythingNotEverything Thu 20-Mar-14 23:29:27

DD is 5 months and is DC2 (if it matters). I use baby wipes (mainly Johnson's as the cheaper ones can feel rough and I seem to use more so it's a false economy) to wipe all around, one final wipe round once clean (like a final rinse, if you will), then happy back on. Sometimes use some sudocrem but only at the first hint of a rash.

We used cotton wool pads and water in hospital but not at home.

mumofboyo Fri 21-Mar-14 07:48:15

With ds, our first, we used warm water and cotton wool for months and he never got a sore bum.

With dd, our second, we use huggies pure (thick, smell ok, don't make her sore). Changing her on the floor (as there's nowhere else safer) with a 17 month old toddler running around we couldn't use water as it would just get tipped out everywhere. We just wipe all the pooh off with the nappy then, with the baby wipes, wipe all around, in between and then a final wipe to ensure cleanliness.

Melonbreath Fri 21-Mar-14 09:10:07

Wipes and let her air her bum for 5 minutes or so before putting another nappy on. We use cream at night and if she has a rash.

Lozzapops Fri 21-Mar-14 19:51:46

I change my 5 month old on the floor, as she is a real wriggler once her nappy comes off. Nappy off, wipe with whatever wipes have been on special offer (my preferred wipes are Pampers Sensitive). She doesn't poo often, so it's usually a one-wipe job, otherwise as many as it takes to get the mess off! Once she's wiped, i let her have a bit of a wriggle around with no nappy on. No cream, unless she is red, in which case a little bit of sudocrem. She hardly ever gets sore.

BotBotticelli Fri 21-Mar-14 19:58:31

DS is 15mo....we use tesco own fragrance free wipes to clean his bum and then a cotton wool pad to pay him dry (esp in his creases, where his legs meet his groin for example). Then Sudocream in his bum crack/around the bum hole if he looks sore (rare) and nappy

BotBotticelli Fri 21-Mar-14 19:59:21

Gah! Nappy on. Have done the same since he was 6 weeks old and we stopped using water and cotton wool --bloody faff that was, won't do that again with dc2!)

whereisshe Sat 22-Mar-14 22:11:09

DD is 3 months, if it's a wee then a quick wipe with a wet terry square and then a pause while her bottom airs (I sing her songs while we wait, she thinks they're funny) before re-nappying.

For poo, wipe as much off with the nappy as possible, then cotton wool pads in water for the bulk of the mess then terry square for all over clean up and weleda nappy cream if it looks red.

Once the poo explosion size merited a sluice in the bath but that was mercifully a once off (so far!)...

Cariad007 Sun 23-Mar-14 16:16:24

A quick wipe with wet cotton wool for pee and then air dry, and baby wipes and then sit him in a basin for a quick rinse with warm water to get rid of any residual poop. I don't bother with talcum powder or nappy cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now