Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Take my hat off to working Mums

(31 Posts)
Fairy7 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:53:34

Working Mums should be given awards, accolades, a working mum oscar! I believe that working mums are what holds this country together. Some have their own businesses and some work for large/small companies. Regardless both are pushed to the limit in terms of time and work. Most will admit to being riddled with guilt when their child doesn't want them to leave them at the breakfast club, riddled with guilt when they forget to attend some event at school because their already hectic diary got mixed up, so easily done. But yet in work they have to be the persona of professionalism, work as much as the next to get on, compartmentalise their minds so that when they get into the car after the nursery/school drop off they are in work mode. But what is the toll all this stress takes on a woman? Trying to be breadwinner, cleaner, cook, psychologist, chauffeur, wife and mother. I take my hat off to you the working woman.

2cats2many Thu 20-Mar-14 19:56:21

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm not actually riddled with guilt. I quite enjoy my life.

CMP69 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:57:24

Patronising

Guitargirl Thu 20-Mar-14 20:01:45

And I take my hat off to you for one of the most pointless and passive aggressive posts I have ever read on MN. Chip on your shoulder at all?

breatheslowly Thu 20-Mar-14 20:03:22

I don't find it hard. I'd be bored if I didn't work. I feel no guilt about it. I don't do plenty of the things on your list. Why would I need to be a psychologist? Why would I forget a school event, it's not like keeping a diary is difficult?

Taffeta Thu 20-Mar-14 20:05:53

Hilarious that someone posts something faintly complimentary and MN pick it apart and jump on bits of it as offensive.

Thanks op.

Ithinkwerealonenow Thu 20-Mar-14 20:09:44

Why would I forget to attend something at school? It's no harder than not forgetting to go to a client meeting.

No guilt. Well, only sometimes when I can't go to work as they are ill. But then dh does his share of that as well, does he get an accolade?

penniespigsandpewter Thu 20-Mar-14 20:11:59

Are you a man, op?

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 20-Mar-14 20:13:51

OP, are you a 70-ish year-old chap who has just got their first computer?
Welcome to the internet.

scrivette Thu 20-Mar-14 20:19:06

Well after having a terrible day at work and feeling guilty because I spent so much time there, then coming home to lots of housework and a little boy who missed his Mummy lots, I am going to take that as a compliment - thank you op smile

WoodBurnerBabe Thu 20-Mar-14 20:22:14

Umm, I don't feel guilty for working? And I have a DH who does half of the chores, including cooking, cleaning and laundry and childcare when necessary.

It's nice that someone is nice about working mums, but it was a wee bit patronising, to be honest...

Yama Thu 20-Mar-14 20:24:23

See, all the things you mention in your op is shared with dh. Sharing the load with someone honestly more than halves it.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Mar-14 20:26:20

journo? hmm

ScarlettOHaraHamilton Thu 20-Mar-14 20:26:30

confused

I'm not riddled with guilt. Well, occasionally it is a pain in the arse working out who I want to annoy on difficult days, the childminder or my employer, but still... I would honestly rather work than be a SAHM, no matter how stressful it can get at times.

I like being a working mum. I don't particularly feel the need to be congratulated for it.

georgesdino Thu 20-Mar-14 20:29:46

Im not riddled with guilt and I dont forget things Im the school confused

Waggamamma Thu 20-Mar-14 20:32:00

Does my dp get an award/accolade for going to work too?

Such a patronising post, even if it was meant with good intentions it reads to me as 'you poor working mums forced to leave your children to earn a penny.' When the reality is many mothers enjoy and want to work. It's extremely important to me that my children see me making a valuable contribution to society and our family by having a life, purpose and aspirations beyond the home.

shakinstevenslovechild Thu 20-Mar-14 20:34:13

I am not a chauffer, a wife, a psychologist, a cleaner or a cook, nor am I riddled with guilt. I also have the ability to keep a diary and all the appointments in it.

Fwiw I'm sure my childrens Dad isn't riddled with guilt either despite working and being a Dad.

Thanks for the pat on the head though confused

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 20-Mar-14 20:37:28

I am a tad more organised than your OP implies but I Thank You Bows Graciously

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 20-Mar-14 20:38:17

oh that was supposed to be 2 itallicy sentences

ScarlettOHaraHamilton Thu 20-Mar-14 20:38:24

Good point about the dads. No one ever takes their hat off to working dads. Most outrageously sexist thing ever.

Foosyerdoos Thu 20-Mar-14 20:41:12

it's not that hard if you have a partner who does their share and good childcare. It also helps if you are paid a living wage. I don't find it stressful and I'm not riddled with anything.

elQuintoConyo Thu 20-Mar-14 21:08:00

I think your op is riddled with bollocks, OP.

And how dare you tell me how I feel.

shakinstevenslovechild Thu 20-Mar-14 21:16:10

Is anyone else really starting to like the word 'riddled' this thread has made me realise I don't use it enough probably because I'm too busy working and being a Mum to expand my vocabulary grin

shebird Thu 20-Mar-14 22:15:31

Well thank you OP for acknowledging that we are not superheroes. I can't believe there are so many smug perfect mums on MN that are so superior and find it all so enjoyable and easy. While I enjoy working I do feel guilty that I am not able to give 100% to both my job my family. I am constantly frazzled and feel I am just about managing to keep on top of things at home and at work. I know lots of working mums that feel the same but it seems we must not complain on MN. It seems it is better to make others feel bad by being smug and superior. Not everyone's situation is the same so not everyone finds this balancing act easy.

PansOnFire Thu 20-Mar-14 22:28:00

Exactly shebird, OP I wish I wasn't riddled with guilt but I am. I think your post is nice which is why you're being ripped apart on here thanks smile. I'm sick of being looked on as weak because I find it difficult to work and be a mum, I'm not going to apologise for that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: