Talk

Advanced search

Home made toys

(10 Posts)
SweetPeaPods Wed 19-Mar-14 08:19:23

I'm keen to make ds some home made toys. Things like a water bottle filled with rice etc. but that's all I can think of! Would love any ideas or suggestions. Ds is 9m. TIA

Memom Wed 19-Mar-14 08:24:10

A sheet of metallic wrapping paper or a cardboard box is always a good bet here!

An adult sock with something crinkly knotted in it.

(Be careful of chewing wrapping paper, the coating can come off)

Lozzapops Wed 19-Mar-14 08:29:05

Bottles filled with any of the following: glitter, colourful feathers, rice/pasta, sequins.

Bottle lids (milk bottle, coke bottle, etc) threaded onto a small length of string and knotted at the ends, clatters when shaken. Also would work with some large buttons.

My friend sewed a piece of that crinkly plastic you get inside a chocolate box, in between two pieces of soft fabric, so it made like a crinkly blankie that could be scrunched to make a nice noise.

One for playing with your baby, rather than leaving baby alone with is strips of fabric/lengths of ribbon tied securely to a piece of wood or plastic. Can then be used for tickling baby's face/body. Same with a piece of thin organza material, slightly see through so baby is aware what's going on, but can be wafted over the body/face to tickle and play peekaboo.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 19-Mar-14 08:33:36

Ds was made a rocket/spaceship for his birthday out of cardboard boxes, tape, felt, stickers etc...he loves it (one that is big enough he can stand inside)

We also made him a blackboard/whiteboard combo by painting one side of a whiteboard with blackboatd paint, he uses chalk on that side and finger paint on the whiteboard side...he uses it every day...big hit

SweetPeaPods Wed 19-Mar-14 12:08:30

Excellent great ideas so far

Naisy Thu 20-Mar-14 11:48:09

Search for 'busy bags' on Pinterest. Amazing home made toys for younger and older toddlers to make yourself.

My DS is 17 months and I 'made' the pom pom box. It's just an empty plastic baby wipes box filled with coloured different sized pom poms. You empty it. He pushes them all back in. Massive hit! There's loads of ideas you can make from pound shop supplies...

milkyman Thu 20-Mar-14 13:57:15

what is pinterest ? ive heard of it but not sure what it is?

Melonbreath Thu 20-Mar-14 17:53:30

Wooden spoons, normal spoons and saucepans. Hours of fun!

mrswigglemunch Thu 20-Mar-14 18:35:45

search for 'The Imagination Tree' - loads of fab ideas

Lozzapops Fri 21-Mar-14 14:55:10

milkyman Pinterest is a website where people create "boards" of pictures, usually along a theme, such as home decor, baby toys, weddings. Often the pictures are linked to tutorials or how-to guides.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now