Talk

Advanced search

HomeMade Baby Clothes

(11 Posts)
SeaNanners Tue 18-Mar-14 23:07:08

Hi all LO is 2 months old now and already i am getting bored with the baby clothes on sale for girls there is an endless array of choices but for boys it seems to be tracksuit bottoms with tigger or something on and t shirt that say mummy's man or some other wording. i am a keen knitter and sewer so was thinking of making outfits for LO from now on to suit my own individual taste like cardigan's and romper suits etc like Sarah Louise outfits but without the price tag lol has anyone else done this for their LO i don't want him to be bullied when he is older and at pre-school for being the boy with the homemade cardie and trousers blush

blacktreaclecat Wed 19-Mar-14 01:21:27

DS wears lots of hand knitted cardies, hats etc as MIL likes knitting for him. I think it is lovely

SeaNanners Wed 19-Mar-14 04:06:11

what about shirts and rompers and trousers though don't other kids tease sometimes if they see a kid not wearing labels and shop bought stuff confused

KatyN Wed 19-Mar-14 06:18:48

I made quite a bit for my chap when he was little. He's 2.5 now and I don't find the time!! I wouldn't worry about him being bullied for a LoNG time. My nursery love homemade outfits. They always comment on the one jumper I knitted my son this season

Get crafting!

K

Eletheomel Wed 19-Mar-14 09:29:24

I love handknitted stuff (and really regret that I never followed up on my mums knitting tuition when I was younger). My mum was an avid knitter and I went through life getting (and asking for) different types of jumpers/cardigans, choosing wool etc, and for all the things I might have been slagged off about at school - my mums hand knits weren't one of them!

And I don't think pre-schoolers have any indication of labels. My son is 4 and the only thing that interests him are superheroes (or supervillains, sadly) he will talk about other kids wearing a spiderman top, but that is as far as it goes.

Teenagers and labels maybe, pre-schoolers - not in my experience - I'd go for it :-)

SeaNanners Wed 19-Mar-14 12:24:34

Ill be up all night now trying to sketch the designs just right lol smile

nldm1 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:59:46

My two 4 and 6 still wear a lot of homemade outfits. I run my own business from home making (mostly sewn from my own patterns) kids clothes and accessories so it makes sense for me to make rather than buy.
Both children are regularly complimented on their clothes and if there has ever been a negative comment, I am not aware of it.
Homemade is unique and awesome :-)

nldm1 Wed 19-Mar-14 14:03:21

Nothing to do with me, but this is an awesome site to buy fabric and patterns
http://www.kitschycoo.bigcartel.com/

SeaNanners Wed 19-Mar-14 15:50:05

there is a market near me that sells rolls of fabric cheap id rather buy things in person not much of an online buyer

CorrieDale Wed 19-Mar-14 15:59:02

I have always seen for my two. DS is unappreciative because he would spend his life in 'soft comfy trousers' if he could. I have started making him nice cargo pants in sweatshirt ing and we're both happy.

You will however find that there are millions of cute patterns for girls, and sod all for boys. It's like the clothing aisles reflected in haberdashery. So you need to get yourself onto the Ottpbre website. Really great patterns, well drafted and completely mainstream looking. You have to trace the patterns but this is a very small price to pay. There is also an ottobre group on Yahoo, which is really helpful because the sewing instructions assume a reasonable amount of. sewing experience.

For fabrics, I generally buy online. Which is why I have a room full of fabric and have had to join a destashing group to kick the fabric buying habit.

SeaNanners Thu 20-Mar-14 00:51:48

i don't really want mainstream clothes that the whole reason i don't like stuff you can buy in store. i like more traditional outfits some people might call it "vintage", i have bought shoes and rompers from cachet kids so far PocoRopa is super expensive though i love there stuff Jolyan would grow out of it in 10 secs so cant justify the prices. i can copy the styles from sight though so think it will turn out ok its just measuring a wriggly 2MO that's the hard bit lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now