Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to give money for a 6 year olds birthday present?

(5 Posts)
nldm1 Tue 18-Mar-14 14:48:54

DS (6) has been invited to the birthday party of a new girl in his class. I've asked her mother what sort of things her DD likes and she just ended up telling me difficult her DD was to buy for and wasn't really given any sort of suggestions.
I've sewn a pretty little clasp purse for her and was just going to £5 inside it.
Is that ok? At what age is it ok to have money as a birthday gift?

EuroMaidan Tue 18-Mar-14 14:59:23

Absolutely fine.
Particularly if the girl is spoiled difficult to buy for.

wigglesrock Tue 18-Mar-14 19:53:09

That's a lovely present. My dd2 is 6 & I've noticed at the parties she's been to recently there's lots more money gifts - a fiver seems to be the going rate smile

BabyMummy29 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:57:55

When my DCs were little it was quite common for them to receive money (usually a fiver) from their friends. They liked to put it all together towards something bigger.

nldm1 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:50:59

Thank you for the responses. Glad to hear it's not a rubbish gift. It's so tricky when it's someone DS doesn't really know and the parents have no suggestions. I didn't want to just give a £5 note in a card in case it seemed like we couldn't be bothered (especially if money wasn't the done things at this age), hence the purse.
Hopefully the birthday girl will be happy with it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now