Talk

Advanced search

Toddler is ill - why sudden nappy rash?

(14 Posts)
croquet Mon 17-Mar-14 13:45:11

Is it normal for kids to get nappy rash when they're ill with other things? My toddler's had a flu-like illness for about a week and seems to be in the worst part of it with a fever and real exhaustion. She also has quite a bad nappy rash -- several big red spots on her bottom. She's never had this before and we're changing her just as often, also she doesn't have an upset tummy. Is there a reason why she might have nappy rash suddenly linked to the illness, or is it just a coincidence?

MummyLuce Mon 17-Mar-14 15:31:04

Yeah i think we've had similar. Low immune system leading to a spot of nappy rash?
However, you want to make sure its not hand foot and mouth virus - my LO had a flu like illness and spots on her nappy area with this. She also had spots on her finger (none on her feet though, and nothing particularly significant on her mouth, but she lost her appetite so her mouth was clearly sore).

TarkaTheOtter Mon 17-Mar-14 15:33:11

My dd just had hfm and it started with really bad looking nappy rash. She then got spots around her mouth and blisters on her hands and feet.

croquet Mon 17-Mar-14 15:38:45

Hm I've looked up HFM and it does sound likely. I've been ill too for the past week: killer sore throat, cold, a mouth ulcer and fatigue. DD has had fever, runny nose, lots of sticking hand in mouth (which I thought was teething), temperature and now the weird nappy rash... I'll have a look in her mouth and also see if other spots appear.

It's been a horrid illness for me and she seems pretty ill too.

croquet Mon 17-Mar-14 15:39:07

Tarka did you use calamine lotion?

croquet Mon 17-Mar-14 15:41:33

Also how long did you keep your kids out of playgroups etc?

TarkaTheOtter Mon 17-Mar-14 16:11:25

I didn't use anything because she didn't seem itchy. I stayed pretty much quarantined for a week after the spots on her face arrived (and I figured out what it was). That was how long it took for the blisters to dry up. The nhs doesn't suggest you stay in but I didn't want to knowingly pass it on vein of it isn't considered serious. Dd was quite ill with it anyway so seemed to need the rest.

TarkaTheOtter Mon 17-Mar-14 16:12:13

Vein of = even if

croquet Tue 18-Mar-14 08:46:44

Hello all - I think this is hfm, DD now has red wart-like spots on her hands (only a few) though in general it seems like she's recovering, the fever is less.

Do I need to take her to the Drs?

Suzietwo Tue 18-Mar-14 08:54:02

Is she teething?

croquet Tue 18-Mar-14 09:20:28

yes - well kind of. Teeth through a few weeks ago, still dribbling and chewing fingers. She's had a sore throat too.

Suzietwo Tue 18-Mar-14 10:29:13

it may be that. my two have both had appaling nappy rash when teething. as well as being horrible, snotty and generally under the weather. i think its something to do with swallowing loads of minging stuff which is acidic and causes nappy rash. i appreciate that isnt exactly technical!

get some metanium and leave her nappy off as much as possible. if you can get her in the sun, that will clear up the rash within a few hours.

MummyLuce Tue 18-Mar-14 11:49:15

I took her to the docs when she had hfm and they actually have her some calamine(sp?) cream and antibiotics as apparently she also had a secondary infection on her finger where the blisters had become infected.

croquet Tue 18-Mar-14 13:07:54

v useful, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now