Talk

Advanced search

chicken pox

(12 Posts)
LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 12:30:52

Dc3 has chicken pox. He's 9 months old and started getting spots yesterday, now he is covered, but not too I'll. Dc1 and 2 have not had chicken pox, but have been exposed to it lots of times without getting it. I know dc is contagious until the blisters scab and fall off, but how careful do I need to be? I've sent dc1 to school so did the school run this morning (its tricky but not impossible to get someone else to do it). Feel a bit confused about quarantine, any advice? I'm sure I should know all this!

LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 12:33:08

Sorry, that wasn't very clear! Should I do the school run (dc3 goes in a sling) or is that unfairly putting others at risk? Is it ok to pop into town with him in the pushchair or do I need to stay home all the time?

crazykat Mon 17-Mar-14 12:42:26

Of you've got a pushchair then use that for the school run with the rain cover on and try to stand away from others.

I wouldn't advise going into town as its too big of a risk for other people. Doing the school run is also a risk but you have to take the others to school whereas you don't have to go to town.

LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 13:26:28

Thank you. I think dc2 is behaving suspiciously, he's put himself to bed! so I think I'll dig out the double push chair ( he normally goes in the single) and quarantine them both for school pick up. I feel bad sending dc1 to school in case he's contagious, but he has shown no signs and I can't keep him off for the 10 days possible incubation. Oh, its so complicated!

sittingatmydesk Mon 17-Mar-14 13:33:13

I think the pushchair (with rain cover) is best. I wouldn't go anywhere other than school, though, and keep your distance from other children.

Not much you can do with your eldest, though. My ds1 was in contact at least 6 times before he caught ut.

addictedtosugar Mon 17-Mar-14 13:44:35

We've been told we can go back to nursery when everything has scabbed, but not about falling off, so suspect not contagious after everything has scabbed.

Yes, we been doing the school run in the pushchair, and warning anyone who came close and might try to kiss/cuddle DS2. We did stop at the swings this morning on the way home, but a) there was no-one there and b) we only have a handful left to scab. Don't know how unreasonable that was.

DS1 is continuing as normal. But if he gets a temperature we will be keeping a very close eye on him (DS2 had a temperature spike 3-4 days before the spots appeared. Coincidence??), reducing contact with others, but school til first spot appears.

LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 13:46:47

Thank you. I think dc2 is behaving suspiciously, he's put himself to bed! so I think I'll dig out the double push chair ( he normally goes in the single) and quarantine them both for school pick up. I feel bad sending dc1 to school in case he's contagious, but he has shown no signs and I can't keep him off for the 10 days possible incubation. Oh, its so complicated!

LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 13:56:11

Thanks. Next question (I can't believe how little I know, I've got three children!), when are they itchiest? Ds 3 has lots of new spots and blisters, but doesn't seem overly fussed by them. He's generally grouchy but doesn't seem to be trying to scratch himself (can 9 month olds deliberately scratch themselves even?).Are they itchier when they start to scabover? I don't have anything in for the itching- any recommendations?

EatDessertFirst Mon 17-Mar-14 14:04:13

Itching in my two (They were 3.5 and 18 months) started when scabbing started. You can get a gel called "Virasoothe" from the pharmacy. It is quite expensive but I found calomine lotion way too much faff. Overnight itching can be helped with Piriton or similar.

LetTheRiverAnswer Mon 17-Mar-14 14:12:23

Ha, I rememember calomine lotion from insect bites. Relief for about a minute and a half, then just as itchy, but with a decorative pink crust. Glad there is something better now. Not glad we have the itchiness still to come though.

KatyN Mon 17-Mar-14 18:00:23

My chap got the pox when he was 9 months. He wasn't bothered by the spots at all. He was super cheerful once the initial temperature hd gone. However a stinky word of warning my boy got it again at 18 months. Apparently if they get it before 1 they might not build up a resistance.

Arses!
K

addictedtosugar Mon 17-Mar-14 18:33:35

DS2 has only really been itchy when getting too hot in bed (he likes to sleep with the duvet over his head), so we turned the radiator off, put his window on the latch, and he's been much better.

Just need to see how DS1 copes now - expecting he'll come down with it in a week or 2.

Our Calomine was white, not pink. Pharmacist said the sprays were drying, so we avoided for our eczema prone boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now