Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about threadworms

(3 Posts)
attheendoftheday Sat 15-Mar-14 20:36:15

Dd1 (2.10) has been itching her bum since last night. Threadworms seems like an obvious cause, but I am yet to see any, is there a way to be sure, or any other likely causes of bottom itching?

If dd1 does have them, I think the whole family has to be treated, but when I had a scan of the NHS website it seemed to say that children under 2 and breastfeeding mothers could not take the medication - any ideas what me and 1 year old dd2 can do?

Advice would be gratefully welcomed!

TabloidTart Sat 15-Mar-14 21:55:17

My Dd1 had it recurrently. We were on the verge of having a colonoscopy, cause I could never see any worms and she was in so much discomfort.. In the end, a few weeks before the op was planned, I spoke to one surgeon who said I should give her the meds, on the off chance. A few nights later it happened again, I really pulled the skin apart, shone a torch at it, and finally found the blighters.
The whole time, none of the rest of the family got it, despite me being very carefree about washing sheets, hygiene etc. And my Dd2, who was one at the time, was always crawling in DD1s bed. We never took any meds.
Don't think this really helps, other than to say apparently, according to my doc, some people are susceptible, others aren't. Good luck...

attheendoftheday Sun 16-Mar-14 00:33:41

Thank you for the reply. I think I'll get the medication for dd1 tomorrow and see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now