Talk

Advanced search

Simplifying our home.. It's a must

(4 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 17:00:45

Toys, stuff on shelves in reach, a toy rotation is needed. anyone else done this and felt the benefits? We have three small kids. 3.5, 1.5 and 6 weeks) any tips welcome!

fairylightsintheloft Wed 12-Mar-14 17:38:30

get someone else to have the kids for 1/2 a day. Get bin bags and clear the boot of your car. Fill bin bags with toys that replicate the same function / never got used etc and either tip or charity shop them. Toy rotation never really worked for us cos I would forget to actually do it - it just becomes storage. Be really ruthles about your own stuff too- ornaments etc. Are you REALLY going to put them back one day? If not, get rid. Also think about storing toys in the kids bedrooms as well as downstairs. I am happy to have evidence of my kids living in the house after 7pm but now they are 2.9 and 4.5 they do sometimes play in their rooms so some stuff is gradually moving out of the living room.

Artandco Thu 13-Mar-14 14:14:24

Def sort out and get rid of half.

We live in a one bed flat ( London) with x2 smallChildren. It's made us not go crazy with 'stuff'.

We get rid of something every time something new comes in. Ie new children book, we will sort through and charity shop one that's ' babyish'.

Sort through toys and get rid of the excess that is similar. Ie do they really need a box with 40 small toy cars etc. that can probably easily be halved and they will still have a large variety.

Get rid of excess children's clothes. Even with passing down between children many people have way to many. We have x2 drawers per child for everything. Buy good quality to pass on but less. 5 lovely tshirts are better that 15 ok ones

Artandco Thu 13-Mar-14 14:15:53

Oh also is there anyway you can get a built in storage area? A well fitted cupboard with shelves and doors to hide it all is much tidier than all on display

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now