Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Strong teething wees...

(12 Posts)
PurplePidjin Tue 11-Mar-14 21:04:21

I wasn't sure where to put this, so trying here. Apologies if it's long and waffly, I'm not entirely sure how to phrase my question and don't know what's relevant or not!

I use reusable nappies on my son, but I've tried him in disposables for overnight and had the same problem. The way I put my night nappies together, he can wear them for up to 15 hours without needing a change, so it's definitely the wee not the nappy iyswim.

DS is 15 months old. Ever since he was tiny, he's hated being in a dirty nappy. No problem, I change him whenever necessary. However, since he started teething some of his wees are really strong - it makes my eyes water when I take his nappy off. It's not every wee, and I've used a variety of different nappies, washing methods etc in case that helped.

He also started pooing at night, which I sorted out by regulating the amount of fruit he has (apricots and dates are the culprits for that one!) which has made me wonder if there's a dietary solution to the stinky wee problem.

He eats well - 1 1/2-2 weetabix plus a banana for breakfast, soup or sandwich type lunch with something like a pear or satsuma for pudding then proper cooked dinner like fish pie, veggie burger with cheesy mash and cauliflower, beef and lentil stew (to take examples from the last 3 days). He has a yoghurt every day.

I don't mind changing nappies - 15 hours was a one off, he's changed 3 times during the day (first thing in the morning, 11:30 for nap and mid afternoon) then night nappy at 5:30ish ready for bed by 6 (his choice iyswim, he likes an early night). When not teething, he usually sleeps 12 hours or so then has a nappy change and goes back to sleep for 2-3 hours.

At the moment though we're getting through another 3 nappies at night - last night he needed changing at midnight and 6, I've just done the first change before typing this. It upsets him, and is starting to affect him during the day.

Is there any more I can do to help, or should I just ride it out and make sure he gets plenty of sleep during the day? His nap is anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and he's pretty good at sleeping as much as he needs to get through the next portion of the day.

Thank you thanks

poocatcherchampion Tue 11-Mar-14 22:10:19

hi milly!

I'm just off to bed so I'll mull this over while I lie awake feeding dd2 tonight..

my first thoughts are - have you tried upping his liquid to try to dilute it? possibly counter intuitive but maybe worth a try

and do you use sunshine to get the nappies fresh and smell free? I sometimesleave them out a week.

not that that solves your problem. I'll also sniff around for stinky wees on dd2. she is suffering with nappyrash and her nappys do smell and she is teething so maybe you are on to something.

it's not great but we use disposibles at night these days (which also stink but differently) - it was because of repeated fungal infections for dd1 but I dont miss that strong morning ammonia smell. it didn't wake dd1 up though.

just chatting really... smile

poocatcherchampion Tue 11-Mar-14 22:11:54

Ive just read you've tried disposibles.

does he wake up wanting a change? are you sure that's what he wants if he wakes up? not teething pain for instance?

poocatcherchampion Wed 12-Mar-14 07:49:50

I did think about it!

a fleece liner help?

PurplePidjin Wed 12-Mar-14 08:33:28

he has free access to water day and night; not sure i could get him to drink more!

bamboo fitted with help and mf boosters and fleece and disposable liners shock

Theyaremysunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 09:05:48

Honestly came see why teething would make urine smelly. The increased saliva production can make poor runny and smelly but not wee.

Smelly wee, bad enough to make your eyes water, is far far more likely to be a urine infection. I'd get a wee collection kit for nappies from your gp and take a sample in. If not that then push fluids, offer lots of water, ice lollies, watery fruit, jelly etc.

Hope it gets better soon.

Theyaremysunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 09:06:26

*can't not came!

PurplePidjin Wed 12-Mar-14 10:22:09

if it were every wee, he had other symptoms or he wasn't so obviously seething when it happens i'd have tried that.

this has been on and off for months. pretty sure he'd at least have a temperature or something by now wink

Theyaremysunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 11:33:30

Not necessarily. Diluted urine may not smell so bad even with a UTI. Simple to check.

Hope you find a solution.

Unless of course he's eating lots of asparagus!

Ellypoo Wed 12-Mar-14 13:52:01

I have been told that teething can cause stronger smelling wee - my dd is 11 months and has short periods of quite strong smelling urine when she is teething too.

smaths Wed 12-Mar-14 14:41:02

My dd's (reusable) night nappies would put you out of the room when she's teething - they are truly eye watering. I think it's fairly normal?

PurplePidjin Wed 12-Mar-14 18:35:38

I hope so. He's developed a cold and sticky eyes now, so all plans are on hold until he's better and I've had some sleep sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now