Talk

Advanced search

Toddler chewing food but not swallowing it

(7 Posts)
MamaSmurf99 Mon 10-Mar-14 22:37:28

Bit of a strange post. My 18 month old has started a habit of chewing food but not swallowing it. She'll have a bit of something, chew it thoroughly then keep it in her mouth rather than swallowing it. It eventually makes her gag and sometimes sick, she won't swallow it or wash it down with a drink. She gets upset by it being in her mouth and afterwards won't eat anymore. Anyone experienced similar and have any tips or ideas of what has caused this?

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 10-Mar-14 23:16:54

My 16 month old keeps food in her mouth if she isn't keen on it. Could be 5-7 mins until it softens so much it dribbles back out or she swallows it with her saliva . She doesn't put anymore in her mouth . Watching this thread.

KatyN Tue 11-Mar-14 06:56:32

My chap does this if he's got too much in his mouth. He spits it out. Normally over his dinner.

Is there anything she will swallow? When mine is being off with food we just stick to faithful yoghurts!!

K

CuriosityCola Tue 11-Mar-14 06:58:54

I have this problem, but it usually with foods he doesn't like the texture of. He can look like he is eating an apple normally and then ages later will spit all the skin back out. I just make him take smaller bites and offer a drink in between. He is 2.5 and we still have a lot of regurgitation. confused

MamaSmurf99 Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:10

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. She'll eat lots of something then suddenly keep a bit in her mouthand rrefuse to drink to wash it down and will either cry, dribble it out or ask me to take it out. It was happening every now and then but now its most mealtimes and causing her a lot of upset and I don't know how to help.

Theyaremysunshine Tue 11-Mar-14 20:40:32

Might be worth a quick check at the doctors to make sure there's not a problem with enormous tonsils (or just have a look).

SuperDuperTrooper Tue 11-Mar-14 21:44:22

Could she be teething? My DS would get like this when he was teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now