Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

PANTS campaign and stranger danger chat... When did you?

(3 Posts)
RebeccaJames Mon 10-Mar-14 20:14:37

DS1 is 5 and I am wondering whether I should have the talks about appropriate/inappropriate touching with him yet. I tell myself it's too soon, but I also think I'm kidding myself because I can't bear to dent his innocence or his trust in the world.

When did you have these chats with your DCs? How did it go? DS is so bright that I know he's going to ask a load of questions about WHY someone might take him and why someone might touch him. What could I say that is not terrifying??

Help!?

lougle Mon 10-Mar-14 20:42:21

DDs are 8, 6 and 4. We talk casually about private areas all the time, tbh. It shouldn't need to be a big deal. Also, if you're quite casual about discussing it now, then if anything did happen, I think they'd be more likely to tell you. Whereas, if it's a Big Deal now, then if something happened they may be too scared to say something.

OohMrDarcy Mon 10-Mar-14 20:45:04

DD is 7, DS is 4

we are like lougle - we talk casually about pants being private areas as standard

the stranger danger stuff we started, just before DD started school - DS seems to have picked up on it even though we've never specifically talked to him about that yet - heard him shout to a neighbour the other day that he 'better not kidnap us!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now