Talk

Advanced search

am I just wasting my time trying to sleep train 21months dd right now?

(3 Posts)
lighteningmcmama Fri 07-Mar-14 14:48:23

Dd has her nap at home about one a week, sometimes twice. Rest of the time it's in the car on the way back from getting ds from preschool, or on trips out at weekends

I'm trying yo get her used to sleeping on her own for her nap. So far I've cut out the pre nap breastfeed successfully, and I can get her to sleep on her own but it usually takes 1-1.5 hrs. I have also got to the point where I don't need to be in the room, but I still need to be just outside, I'm doing the gradual removal (of me!) Method, similar to NCSS stuff

I'm getting fed up of waiting on the stairs outside the room.

I want to sleep train her because I'm pregnant with dc3 and I want her to go down for naps easily when dc3 arrives.

But things aren't helped by the fact that the actual 'training'is only happening once or twice a week

At night I stay with her-because ds needs me to do that and he is a much tougher nut to crack on that front, so by default I stay with her too. So there is inconsistency which doesn't help

So do I just leave it and pat her to sleep for now which would probably take half an hour. I think I've answered my own question actually lol but would love other views!

Twobusyboys Fri 07-Mar-14 14:52:15

How long til baby arrives? Things could all change then anyway. I would be tempted to let her nap in car when out anf about. And when at home just keep her up all day and get her down for early bedtime.

lighteningmcmama Fri 07-Mar-14 21:06:06

Hmmmm never thought of that option actually! I think I will try it.I know she can cope without a nap when her cousins come round, because she usually refuses to nap and has surprised me by being fine!I always put that down to having distractions but maybe it's worth a try on the days weare home most/all of the day-those are the days we're struggling with atm.

And as you say all may change in October when baby is here anyway!

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now