Talk

Advanced search

Is this too much change for 2 year old - childcare setting related

(9 Posts)
tantrumtime Fri 07-Mar-14 12:21:39

DD 2.8, I'm a single mom to her and DS 13 months.
I work 2 days a week and currently they go to a childminder on a Thursday then on a friday DS goes to my moms and DD goes to a nursery as mom thinks having both of them is too much for her.

I have been offered up to 15 hours childcare funding by teriffic for twos and there is a lovely playgroup just up the road. I've been to see it and its a big hall with lots to do but 30 children so much bigger than the 10 she is used to at Nursery. It's got an outstanding ofsted report if that's relevant.
They are offering Monday and Wednesday mornings, I wouldn't change Thursday because my childminder is a god send and is super flexible and I love her and I can't use it on a Friday because the playgroup is term time school hours only and I work 9-5 all year so that doesn't work for me so she would be in playgroup Monday morning, with me all day Tuesday, playgroup Wednesday morning, CM all day Thursday and nursery all day Friday. Is that too much change with 3 places to go?
Selfishly it works for me because then I get to spend time with DS and I avoid her terrible 2 Outbursts that have seen me do quite a bit of shouting hmm by the end of the day with both of them I am shattered!!
Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated because I am super confused!!

insancerre Fri 07-Mar-14 12:37:34

does your current nursery not offer the 2 year funding?
it is worth asking them as she is there already

tantrumtime Fri 07-Mar-14 13:12:47

Sorry should of added that, no it is in another county (live on border) so no funding

Artandco Fri 07-Mar-14 13:18:12

Would your mum consider having them both on Fridays if eldest is at the play group in the mornings? She will be tired from play group, and then could be picked up, lunch and have an afternoon nap. So only really need entertaining 3-5ish?

tantrumtime Fri 07-Mar-14 15:31:29

I can't drop her off until 8.30 and I can't do that because I e got to be at work quite a way away for 9, mom said she won't commit to dropping her off so it would be up to me and my job doesn't really allow flexible starts (work for NHS and have patients booked)

ExcuseTypos Fri 07-Mar-14 15:37:32

Children are all different- she may take to it like a duck to water or it might be too much.

I'd give it a try for a few weeks and keep a close eye on her.

waterrat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:58:57

Could you change Friday to child minder as well so she is only going to two places?

I'd take Up the playgroup offer and you can see how she copes ...

purpleroses Sat 08-Mar-14 09:40:35

I'd have thought most 2.8 year olds would cope well with a routine like that.
I used to have a chart up on the wall when my DS was about that age with an arrow pointing to the days of the week and pictures for the different things he did which helped him understand the routine.

tantrumtime Sat 08-Mar-14 15:19:48

I could absolutely change Fridays to the childminder, I never even thought of that!!! My brain is scrambled from 13 months if sleep deprivation smile
I will ring CM on Monday and see if she has space!
Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now