Talk

Advanced search

what do you do in the early mornings with ds?

(8 Posts)
milkyman Thu 06-Mar-14 14:26:53

my 17mth wakes at 6.15, he used then nap at 9am after brekkie, play etc... he has just dropped nap and then have a grumpy baby to deal with but not sure what to do with him as most groups etc.., start at 10am. also raining so cant go outside. just wondered what others morning routines are?

Thurlow Thu 06-Mar-14 16:58:10

I'd go out - buy wellies and an all-in-one rainsuit! Toddlers generally love splashing about in puddles and you can easily kill the better part of an hour letting them explore. Could you try that?

If I have a long time to kill in the morning I let DD get in the shower with me, and then we make breakfast because she likes cooking, and that can take up a lot of time too.

KatyN Fri 07-Mar-14 18:22:04

We sometimes cook too. I am always embarrassed when the cake has finished cooking before 8:30!
We also watch a bit of telly when we first wake up, while I drink my tea and come round. Other than that we just do normal inside things.. Colouring etc.
If you are desperate to get out, you can normally find a supermarket that's open early. I find it hard to get out before it's light but on bad mornings I have done!!

By about 9 my chap is ready for a sit down and a few stories, which fits nicely with a cup if coffee before we go out to a group.

sillymillyb Fri 07-Mar-14 18:32:49

When ds went through a phase of 5am get ups, I was often at the swimming pool for 6 with him. It was quiet, tired him out for his nap, and we would get breakfast in the cafe afterwards.

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 07-Mar-14 19:10:54

Ive started popping to our local highstreet and buying the evening meal. Very old school but it kills the hour . X

mummyxtwo Mon 10-Mar-14 12:03:51

Bit easier for me as ds1 is 5yo and so we have the school run to occupy us until 9.10am. They have cbeebies on while they drink their milk and while I eat my breakfast. Then dd2 (16mo) plays with her brother while I run around like a mad thing making lunches and trying to dress everybody. Dd2 naps from 10.45am so to kill a bit of time before then we might pop into the local shop on the way home from school for groceries. The village park is just over the road too. And while I do the dishes she will either try to help with the dishwasher while I try to stop her smashing plates or sit by me banging a spoon on a bowl or playing with tupperware. We have a box of stickle bricks that we play with together. She has a snack at around 10am and sometimes has this sitting on the floor with her soft toys like a little picnic. If I'm trying to get some jobs done then she plays with (safe!) kitchenware or clothes pegs or whatever it is that I am using at the time. We also have water pens and a giant mat that she can scribble on and have fun with.

BotBotticelli Mon 10-Mar-14 16:36:52

I have been known to get the bus or walk to toddler groups that start at 10, even though I have a car, cos I am desperate to get out of the house early!

Or I will go to Costa and have a cuppa/give DS a snack in there before 10am toddler group starts.

sunshine1991 Tue 11-Mar-14 00:17:56

Off subject but how do you all get out before ten dd 14 months up atv8 dosent finsh breakke til 9 then its clean up get dressed then nap til lunch we dont get out be4 2ish what am i doing wrong ,?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now