Talk

Advanced search

Can you freeze jars of baby food?

(11 Posts)
Twinkletron Tue 04-Mar-14 14:32:56

Just that really. I'm about to start weaning (4 months) and it says to use an ice cube sized amount but the jars are blimin expensive and much bigger. (Yes I could make my own food and I intend to but to start I'd like to use ready made to get a feel of what he does and doesn't like) so can you portion off the contents of a jar and freeze to use as and when rather than throwing away most of it?

Johnogroats Tue 04-Mar-14 14:45:25

I don't see why not, but you might as well start as you intend to go on. I (for taste and health and because I like cooking) made my own baby food a la Annabel Karmel. What are you going to do if he likes jars, and then rejects your food?

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 04-Mar-14 14:50:01

Jars of baby food really are not the same as fresh food. I just portioned off stuff that you cook for yourself. A few extra carrots and potatoes or whatever can be mashed up and frozen in freezer bags and just chuck it in a tub if you are going out to defrost so you can eat it later.

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 04-Mar-14 15:15:52

What does it say on the jar?

mumofboyo Tue 04-Mar-14 16:49:26

We weaned ds from 4 months on purees and we bought some silicon muffin cases which we cut up into individual cases and, once filled with the puree (so me meals made especially for him and some pureed food from our meal), covered in clingfilm and froze. The silicon meant we could just push the puree out into his bowl ready to microwave.

mumofboyo Tue 04-Mar-14 16:52:04

And when we used jars (which are good for ease when out and about), if the only ate half of it, I'd save it in the fridge for the next meal or the following day and make sure it was properly reheated to kill any germs.

Christelle2207 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:13:03

Most shop bought stuff is ok in fridge for a day or two just don't reheat. I often get pouches for ds to last 2 or 3 meals

IHaveSeenMyHat Tue 04-Mar-14 17:20:27

Honestly, it's actually easier to make your own purée at this stage. I'm no home cooking evangelist (Ella's Kitchen have had a lot of my money) but I can't imagine the faff of freezing jarred food when you can make your own ice cube sized portions.

Just purée whatever it is (I started with things like carrot, apple, sweet potato) and freeze in a nice cube tray. Once they were frozen I decanted into freezer bags.

UriGeller Tue 04-Mar-14 17:32:00

I don't think using jars will give your ds a taste of what he does or doesn't like. They're made especially bland and don't really bear any relation to home made foods.

BloooCowWonders Tue 04-Mar-14 17:54:33

Not an answer to your query, but isn't the latest guideline to wait til your baby is 6 months.
By which time the baby will be reaching over to grab food from your plate so no need for purees. Job done! smile

(I've had babies during both the 4 month and 6 month guideline. 6 months so much easier!)

trilbydoll Tue 04-Mar-14 17:59:56

Just to add to this, DD likes Ella's Kitchen and Plus pouches but I've not yet found a jar she will eat, the ones I've tasted seem more watery than the pouches? It is also much easier when they are 6 months, I tried DD about 5 months and she just didn't get it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now