Talk

Advanced search

Library rhyme time??

(15 Posts)
flowerpotgirl12 Tue 04-Mar-14 14:01:48

Hiya, I am looking at groups for me and my 6 week old son. We've just enrolled in baby sensory classes and saw our local library has rhyme time and was wondering if he's to young for it? Have no mum friends and nit really sure the ages for a lot of the local groups.

Thanks x

Meglet Tue 04-Mar-14 14:05:46

TBH as long as he's not crying you'll probably both get something out of it. You'll get to know other parents and he'll hopefully enjoy the songs when he's a little older. If it's free it's totally worth having a go.

Our rhyme time used to give the children instruments for the last song (bit noisy!) and a selection of the new baby/toddler books were out out at the end. Always nice to have non-chewed library books to choose from smile.

flowerpotgirl12 Tue 04-Mar-14 14:13:17

Thanks, at your one were there younger babies?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Mar-14 14:16:43

At ours there are babies of all ages. Have a look at your swimming pool to see if they do parent and baby sessions and see if your local nct have any local events too.

All of our local playgroups accept you before the baby is born so 6 weeks should be fine smile

Congratulation on your Lo thanks

MiaowTheCat Tue 04-Mar-14 14:37:59

I started taking DD1 places about then (including rhyme time) just to get me out of the house and provide her with a wider range of things to snore her way through obliviously.

Meglet Tue 04-Mar-14 15:01:04

Yes, lots of babies. Some of them were younger siblings. At least if you go you won't be chasing a toddler around the room and trying to jiggle a baby at the same time.

flowerpotgirl12 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:26:32

Thanks all, I never thought of the pool, will have a look now. Yes also about me getting out as much as lo.

EssexGurl Tue 04-Mar-14 16:44:20

I took DS when he was a baby. He loved it and it helped me remember nursery rhymes! Lots of different aged kids there, babies through to pre schoolers. It was free so very busy!

trilbydoll Tue 04-Mar-14 18:01:51

We go to Rhyme Time, I was sick of trying to sing songs and only remembering 25% of the words. If nothing else, it will extend your repertoire for when you are walking a crying baby up and down the living room!

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:03:43

Not done rhyme time but I started taking my ds to groups at 6 weeks. At first he slept a lot of the time but they were beneficial to me as I could chat to other mums and it got me out of the house (I live very rurally so if I didn't go out I'd see no one from dh going to work to when he gets home)

Now ds is 14 weeks and enjoys going to groups and being somewhere different/having different toys.

Plus I see some of the same mums at groups so it's nice to catch up with them.

All the groups round here welcome people with babies of all ages so I'd say go along! You'll quickly work out which are best for you and your dc.

RenterNomad Tue 04-Mar-14 19:19:57

Totally second trilby's comment about drilling yourself in the songs! You may well need something automatic for sleep deprived moments, when you need to say something, but can't face thinking of what to say! It's better than counting (which is the only other "sequence" I can speak automatically)!

Norfolknway Tue 04-Mar-14 19:48:21

That is the first group I ever went to with DD.

It was 30 mins, free, relatively calm and only a handful of babies...PERFECT!!

I now have DS too and DD is a toddler- I attend much more raucous groups now.

I loved mine and DD's library times grin

GingerDoodle Tue 04-Mar-14 21:14:15

Baby Sensory is awesome; it was the only class I did for ages. Rhyme time is great although tbh ours gets ridiculously busy! Another good class; if you are lucky enough to have one local that works for you is a baby sign one. I haven't which i'm sad about as Baby Sensory started the signing and I would have liked to continue.

redcaryellowcar Tue 04-Mar-14 21:19:06

i took ds first when he was 10th weeks and he slept through it, was nice to go though and people loved tiny baby coming along!

BotBotticelli Wed 05-Mar-14 14:34:36

If you have a look on the netmums website they have good local listings of baby groups that are held in church halls etc. you can search by the name of your town/village I think.

I have found a few church hall groups this way: they are usually free or v cheap to attend, a nice mix of mums, lots of toys for your little one to play with as she gets older but at first it will probably just be nice to sit somewhere and have a cup of tea and a chat with some other mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now