Talk

Advanced search

Feeling guilty about not taking kids out.

(12 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Mon 03-Mar-14 16:20:43

Am I the only one who feels like a bad mum if I don't give my kids action packed fun filled days.
Today we havnt really done much. I had a gym class at 10am the kids went to the crèche whilst I was there.
Came home baby napped, my son and myself had lunch.
Was going to have a walk out somewhere but we have showers so didn't bother.
Kids bored silly causing havoc and I feel BAD for not providing and activity.
It's ok to stay at home isn't it ?? We normally have busy days.
Somehow if we stay in I feel like I've failed them.
It's ok isn't it??

AngryPrincess Mon 03-Mar-14 16:25:17

Yes, you all need a rest sometimes. Then your batteries will all be recharged when you do decide to go out.

Oblomov Mon 03-Mar-14 16:33:14

I do it all the time. And feel no guilt. Children play. All is fine.
The only problem is if the children are running you ragged. Doesn't happen here.
Why are you giving yourself such a un-necessary guilt trip?

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 03-Mar-14 16:34:32

I think because I can see they are bored so I feel like I've failed.

noblegiraffe Mon 03-Mar-14 16:34:44

Why are the kids bored silly? Stick a DVD on. The weather is crap anyway.

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 03-Mar-14 16:39:03

Yep got tv going they zone in and out of it. Think we were spoiled last wk with sunny days so we were outside most afternoon I felt happy they felt happy. Think my mood is weather related.

LizLemonOut Mon 03-Mar-14 16:50:03

Everyone needs a break now and then. How old are kids? I have a few indoor activities I can sort out easily if necessary, painting, playdoh, water play etc, or DD plays by herself, or we watch a dvd. It's not always ideal to be out of the house every second and I do think learning how to entertain themselves, within age appropriate limits, is really important. They don't get that if every thing is scheduled and organised.

mumofboyo Mon 03-Mar-14 16:57:44

We stay in most of the days that the kids are with me. The weather's rubbish and I have next to no money so we're really limited with what we can do and there are only so many times we can go feed the ducks/to the library/to Grandma's. When we're at home they play with their toys, we watch tv or we read books.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with being bored: boredom and encourages creative thinking, imagination and finding entertainment in the most unlikely places.

bamboobutton Mon 03-Mar-14 17:03:30

i'm not a 24 hour entertainment machine. when dh isn't here we go for a walk on w/e days but that's it.

i have fibromyalgia so im not going to spend the day cavorting about trying to entertain a 4 & 6 yo, they can go and play on their scooters, play with their billion and one toys, watch a dvd or read.

i have to say i don't remember going on days out much when i was a child, i spent most of the time playing with my sisters.

BlueFrenchHorn Mon 03-Mar-14 19:01:01

Op I always feel like this too, it's exhausting isn't it.

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 03-Mar-14 19:56:12

It's so exhausting . I feel like a performing monkey if I stay at home. My kids are 3.5 and 16 months. Finding things outside the house isn't always easy is it.
They are trying to play together but it's early days baby annoys toddler, toddler expects to much of baby .

MummyLuce Tue 04-Mar-14 15:09:05

I feel guilt too, but I honestly think boredom encourages imagination. Sometimes though its actually less effort to pop out to a cafe or something - still restful but a change of scene. Do you have a garden? Put on the waterproofs and let them outside.
My happiest childhood memories were days with my sister playing barbies/weird made up games/drawing pictures of the Spice Girls. It was annoying when we had to go and 'do' things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now