Talk

Advanced search

Have I subjected my child to a lifetime of teasing?

(78 Posts)
Willthisworknow Mon 03-Mar-14 10:27:09

Hi I named my son Erin, a name which appeared in the boys name section of the baby book. I swear I did not know it was more popular as a girl name and I have done business with some Male Erin's across the seas. Anyway, son randomly said in a shop this this weekend that Erin's a girls name. I asked him who said that and he just said 'school' so I can only assume he's being teased. I told him it was both a girls and boys name, much like Ashley and robin. He didn't anything else but what do I do if it turns out to be a real issue? Would you change it to Aaron or use a middle name? I still like the name and it defines him but I don't want him to be miserable. He's 5. Any suggestions?

Unexpected Mon 03-Mar-14 10:45:52

I'm sorry I have never heard of it used as a boy's name (and I'm Irish). If it ever is, it sounds like the kind of thing that Irish-Americans might use, which causes Irish people to roll their eyes. In which country were the people based who were male and called Erin? I can't believe it was in Ireland. Are you sure that you did not confuse their name with Aaron/Arran or something similar?

I don't know about teasing but I'm afraid that wherever the name is written down without people seeing your child the automatic assumption is that the child will be female.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 03-Mar-14 10:51:37

I think of it as a girl's name, but as someone who doesn't like the double standards whereby giving a girls boys' names is socially acceptable but not vice versa, I encourage you to stick with it. I like it as a unisex name. You liked it when you picked it, it's been his name for 5 years, wouldn't it be strange to change it now?

ArfurFoulkesayke Mon 03-Mar-14 10:53:46

Another one who's never heard it as a boys' name before. Tbh I am surprised he has got to 5 without anyone saying anything before. I don't know the mechanics of changing names but it might seem like a good idea if it's not a PITA with passports etc

Brodicea Mon 03-Mar-14 10:56:11

I grew up in the states and heard it as both a boys and a girls name - I in RL have an androgynous name and used to get mildly teased, but it didn't damage me too much.

I don't think we have a 'boy called sue' situation personally!

BuggedByJake Mon 03-Mar-14 10:59:38

I've only recently heard it as a boys name too after considering it for my dd.
I think it works well for a boy and a girl.Don't worry about it.

pasanda Mon 03-Mar-14 11:01:53

There is a Jesse in my dt's class. He is now called Max hmm

Although nobody remembers to call him Max and he is still called Jesse!

I would stick with it if I were you. Plenty of girl/boy names around.

RiverTam Mon 03-Mar-14 11:02:13

never heard it as a boy's name but there's no real reason why it doesn't work. With most names people just get used to it. Agree to sell it to him like Robin.

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 11:03:42

I went to school with a boy called Erin, at least it was pronounced Erin. It was spelled differently though, something like Eirraenn (I don't think that's right, but it definitely started with an Ei and had double letters somewhere).

I met him before I met any girls called Erin. IIRC he was of Irish descent but lived in England.

SpookedMackerel Mon 03-Mar-14 11:06:58

I haven't heard it as a boy's name.

You could perhaps change the spelling - Eran?

SavoyCabbage Mon 03-Mar-14 11:12:06

I haven't heard of it as a boys name either. It's a diminutive of Katherine.

Johnogroats Mon 03-Mar-14 11:14:48

My son's name is Jocelyn...he has always been known as Joss. He likes Joss, but doesn't like Jocelyn because he thinks it is too girly.

I have not heard of Erin as a boy's name....if you want to change it, could you do so unofficially? Maybe use his middle name.

DrewsWife Mon 03-Mar-14 11:16:56

I speak to many Ashley's and worked with a Stacey. All blokes.

sublimecorpse Mon 03-Mar-14 11:25:20

I like girls names for boys blush

Tell your DS that Eren (ok spelled differently and pronounced the same) is a Titan shifter from a really cool anime and is not girly at all! grin

Google Eren Yeager Attack on Titan for visual impact!

Paintyfingers Mon 03-Mar-14 11:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Mar-14 11:45:37

It's not one I've come across as a boy's name personally but these days I just tend to smile sweetly and get on with it with any baby names as the world's got so "anything goes" with it.

Just kind of giggling at the thread and the Robin comments since I have two girls - Erin and Robyn... I deliberately didn't want really "girlie" names so I guess I must have hit the spot on that one!

RonaldMcDonald Mon 03-Mar-14 12:02:20

Only know female Erins

He'll be fine though - I know a fair few Jackies <male> as a diminutive of John. They have all survived beautifully

newgirl Mon 03-Mar-14 12:06:01

Eran a simple change that removes any confusion - or Eric. Nice name though so you might start a trend

JacqueslePeacock Mon 03-Mar-14 12:08:11

I think it's a lovely name for a boy.

nicename Mon 03-Mar-14 12:13:27

I have never come across a male Erin. I suppose it's like Jessie, Evelyn, Leslie, Jackie...

LydiaLunches Mon 03-Mar-14 12:25:34

I have worked with a male Hyacinth. I would never have considered it for a boy but assume my own ignorance if I encountered a boy named Erin.

lljkk Mon 03-Mar-14 12:41:03

Why not just change it to Aaron? I would.

TheCountessOlenska Mon 03-Mar-14 13:03:08

I think i prefer it as a boys name!

I know a bloke called Kerry.

Indith Mon 03-Mar-14 13:07:45

He is 5, I wouldn't go randomly changing his name after 1 comment! It is a perfectly lovely name. What does he think?

Floggingmolly Mon 03-Mar-14 13:08:35

Are you sure it was in the boys section of the baby names book? hmm. Seems very unlikely, it is usually a girls name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now