Talk

Advanced search

Argh! Itchy baby!

(8 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Sun 02-Mar-14 19:17:51

I just need to get this out! It's driving me fucking nuts. I know it's hard on DS but I'm sick of fighting and wrestling him all the time. I can't stand watching him scratch but I'm sick of trying to stop him. He's in his cot right now just scratching away. It's awful. It torments both if us.

No one - no one that doesn't have an itchy baby - has any idea how shit is.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sun 02-Mar-14 19:37:07

Oh poor you. I have a friend who has had similar since the start with her DS and it has been torture for her. I assume you have had allergy testing and been to a gp? Sorry, that's probably a stops question- I don't know much about it myself but I do know that she found allergy testing really changed things.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sun 02-Mar-14 19:38:16

*stupid, not stops

ZebraZeebra Sun 02-Mar-14 19:48:07

Hi, thanks for replying. He's 16 months and has had two sets of allergies tests, so we have that under control. Or at least, managed. But he has regular eczema that flares up when unwell or teething, and he's been in an acute teething stage for about a month now.

I find myself getting so worked up about it, and I don't want to give him a complex about it. But sometimes I just want to scream.

lockie1983 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:48:09

Sorry Zebra. I am an itchy mummy with a semi itchy baby, I know it sucks.

Didn't want to read and run, but you aren't alone.

mymiraclebubba Sun 02-Mar-14 21:21:03

My dd (6mo) is the same hun and it drives me buts!! Check with your GP but mine told me to give her 1ml of liquid antihistamines and it works like a bloody dream!! Twice a day and it seems to stem the worst of it!! She has scratched til she bled

ZebraZeebra Mon 03-Mar-14 12:08:14

We've tried most things. Which sounds really arrogant but I just mean - he's 16 months and been like this since birth. We've tried wet wraps, Oilatum, SLS-free aqueous creams, Epiderm, Aveeno, steroid cream, tested and found allergies, used liquid anthistamines when it's really bad, scratch sleeves, oatmeal baths, propolis creams and various other emollients.

I've just reached a point where I realise which creams work best - E45 Itchy Cream being the worst! - and have accepted it's a constant thing to maintain, and sometimes his skin will be great and other times it will flare up. There is no magic sure and what works for one baby won't work for another. It just makes me sad and frustrated, and angry at myself for when I get so wound up by it that I want to yell "Just stop fucking scratching!!"

I don't want to make it "a thing" for him growing up. Mummy constantly telling him to stop scratching, like he's doing something wrong. But it's exhausting and makes me so sad.

FossilMum Mon 03-Mar-14 12:31:33

Just to say my sympathis, and have you tried Sudocrem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now