Talk

Advanced search

Help needed- dihorrea in 2 year old

(5 Posts)
Fireytiger Sun 02-Mar-14 09:50:05

Since the end of January my 2 year old has been suffering from 'loose stools'. It's been off and on. Nothing to be concerned about I thought. However in the last week she has again had loose stools followed with two nights of being sick (tues & wed) - finally I thought it has worked through her system and she would start to get back to normal. However the past three days they are worse than ever. What I would actually call diahorrea - she had a leak this morning before she realised she needed a poo. She has so far today sat on the potty for 20 minutes without doing anything.

I think I need advice, my older son was always ok. She normally eats lots, has been potty trained since Christmas - she eats the same as us at home and nothing usual has been introduced into her diet. I can't fathom it out.

Please experienced mums can I have some help?

Ilovecake80 Sun 02-Mar-14 10:26:20

I would take her to the doctor they may ask for a stool sample, she may need antibiotics. Is she having lots of water/cordial? would keep fruit juice to a minimum if she normally likes lots. Have you tried sachets of diarlyte replaces minerals lost through d & v you can get them from the chemist. But I would make a trip to the doctors.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 02-Mar-14 10:28:30

Is it worse after particular foods?

Wheat or dairy or sweeteners etc?

Have you wormed her?

Fireytiger Sun 02-Mar-14 11:26:49

Someone else mentioned the dreaded worms! No it's something I'm hoping not to have to do but it looks like a trip to the doctors. I didn't want to over react but just can't see an end to it. I thought with worms you had to actually see them to diagnose them? She's not been itching or anything.

I'm keeping foods to a minimum - I've been giving her Ribena very diluted and keeping her fluids up but even the most basic of foods just go straight through.

Thanks for the advice

Mamabear12 Sun 02-Mar-14 22:12:12

Try bananas - that is supposed to help firm up stools. Stay away from juice, that causes more loose stools. Give clear liquids - water or water mixed w some sprite. White bread toasted, white rice are supposed to be good as well. These foods w bananas r good at firming up stools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now