Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please tell me this gets easier

(15 Posts)
littlealien01 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:50:29

Dd is almost 5 weeks old, she does sleep at night so i know were lucky there, but she seems to feed constantly, either pulling herself off/falling asleep every 10 mins or in marathon hour long feeds. Im currently recovering from mastitis for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, every time weve had plans to do anything 'normal' (like risk a family trip to the shops -my new rocknroll goal in life) we havent been able to as ive been ill, and it just feels relentless.

Shes doing well and im pretty sure shes just a normal baby, i just need someone to tellme theres a light at theen of the tunnel and this will get easier...please

kazza446 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:59:47

It will get easier, honest!!! I appear to have a little one very similar re sleeping habits. Sleeps well once asleep at night time but would opt to snooze on the breast all day / night if left to it....

I'm onto my 4th baby now and it does feel hard work when stuck in the midst of it but as they get older it gets easier. Honest! My ds is 9 weeks.

Mastitis is horrible. Have you seen a bf advisor. Sometimes just changing feeding positions can help, try massaging the breasts too to get out any blocked milk. Maybe you're trying to do too much. Mastitis can occur if you're run down. Make sure you have lots of rest.

I take it, its your first baby. It is a flipping shock to the system isn't it? Promise it will get better soon. In meantime don't sweat over it, go with flow, take lots of rest, let your friends / partner pamper you and take all the help u can get.

Big hug x

NoEgowoman Sat 01-Mar-14 22:02:16

Since they don't do much at this age there are no rewards for you. The first few weeks with your first are so difficult. You will get your baby into a routine in a while and be able to return to some normality. Hold on in there. I remember finding this time so hard and it definitely does get much easier.

littlealien01 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:22:53

Thanks, i needed to hear that.

Yes its my first baby.

I was having latch problems, but managed to get help and was just getting better at feeding (although not at routine) when i got ill again.

Nellysgirl Sat 01-Mar-14 22:32:29

You sound exactly like me just 3 months ago. I thought I would never be able to take a soak in the bath again as dd would scream relentlessly to feed all day, everyday.
Suddenly at six weeks it all settled and out of the blue and without warning a sleeping and feeling pattern fell into place and it all became manageable. I stopped crying all the time and was able to catch up on chores & even read a few chapters of my book in the bath without hassle! Promise it gets easier but it's hard to imagine now. Trust your MN friends and hang in there wink

splashingingumboots Sat 01-Mar-14 22:42:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlealien01 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:45:05

Wow nellysgirl a book in the bath sounds like heaven.

Heres hoping for some magic in a week or twos time!

splashingingumboots Sat 01-Mar-14 22:46:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nellysgirl Sat 01-Mar-14 22:54:27

I kid you not! A book in the bath actually happens most nights now with scented candle too.
I agree that everything is worth it when they start smiling at you and get excited to see you in the mornings. You have a lot of good stuff coming up really soon. I'll say what I wish someone would have said to me...
For now, wear your pyjamas all the time, don't bother with washing, sit and feed your baby all day if necessary. It's a good excuse to watch a lot of your favourite tv! You don't get such a great excuse to sit around with your baby many times in your life so make the most of it. I wasted my time fretting about looking presentable for the never ending stream of visitors and catering for them hmm I wasn't in my right mind...
Ah and I nearly forgot. It's ok to buy a few bigger than usual clothes to see you through until your ready for pre baby clothes.

Rommell Sat 01-Mar-14 22:56:09

Oh OP you're in the very thick of it at the moment and you don't even have those lovely endorphins floating around to keep you going. It's hard. But it honestly does get better. I know it seems like an eternity at the moment, but in a matter of weeks you'll start to see some semblance of a pattern, and then that becomes a routine, and then suddenly one day you'll think to yourself 'Fuck me, I just put a washing in and mopped the kitchen floor' and other marvellous things like that. It just takes time. If you suspect your ducts are getting blocked again, I would recommend handing the baby to someone else, take a bath and while you're in it comb your breasts. It sounds mad but it works. And congratulations on your baby and keep on trucking - you're doing fine and you'll get there.

littlealien01 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:01:53

Thanks all -there is hope it seems smile

Bedsheets4knickers Sat 01-Mar-14 23:18:04

Omg at 5 weeks with my 1st I was near enough demented. You will look at this thread one day and lol. Promise promise promise x

hippo123 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:21:25

Op, how long is your baby sleeping at night? I was just wondering if one of the causes of your mastitis could be her sleeping for a very long stretch at night so early on?

littlealien01 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:50:55

She goes 6 hours ish at night (which i know is amazing) but that sleep is the only thing keeping me sane, i know its possible but suspect the mastitis has been down to bad latch, not quite right fitting nursing bras and her erratic daytime feeding exacerbated by experimenting with getting her to sleep in a sling in the day

ScarletStar Sat 01-Mar-14 23:52:52

It definitely will get better. My ds is 9 weeks and he's sleeping between 7-10hrs a night and my body has healed! Hurrah! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now