Talk

Advanced search

Best sippy cups

(22 Posts)
katy14 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:06:13

Looking for some recommendations for a sippy cup for my 10 month old DD. She has a free flow Tommee Tippee cup but is struggling with it. I've been looking at Cow Cups online but they seem to have mixed reviews with some parents saying their LO's struggle to get milk out. In the interests of not wasting my money, wondered what any of you have found best? Thanks.

hillsy27 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:16:28

I think it's all down to personal preference. Although I work at a nursery and have tried every known brand and my favourite it the to meet tipped cup. It is just trial and error I'm afraid !

Onesieone Sat 01-Mar-14 07:22:37

Tommie tippe do a great range of cups and they are on offer in Tesco 2 for fiver at the mo. I bought two of the sports bottle type for my 18 math old.

Littleturkish Sat 01-Mar-14 07:23:45

We love the doidy cup! Own five for various places...

Theyaremysunshine Sat 01-Mar-14 07:34:07

How long has she been using the tommee tippee? It does take them a while to get it. They are the best IMHO.

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 07:56:56

Tommy Tippee. I have 2 dc,5 and 2, and have tried all sorts of cups, but the basic tt is the best in my experience. Everything else is just too gimmicky. If you want a non spill cup, the AnywayUp Cup is good (they do the cow cup and others) after about 15 months, but the one-way valve makes it tricky to use before then.

mumofboyo Sat 01-Mar-14 09:03:31

The best one I had was that free one we got from the Hv. unfortunately it got broken so went to tommee tippee free flow. It's great but it's a nightmare to keep it clean.

icanmakeyouicecream Sat 01-Mar-14 09:41:45

That basic £1.50 TT cup is the best in my experience. Cow cup was shit.

katy14 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:09:35

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing you're meaning the Tommee Tippee sippy cup as opposed to the free flow one?

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 19:38:52

I mean the absolute most basic cup they do which costs around £1.50 and has a spout which folds down on to the lid. It is free flow, but I don't know if that is it's name. All the various cups with one-way, non spill valves etc are much more hard work, and some people believe delay speech development because they build up unnatural muscle pattern. This is what my HV told me anyway, and she is normally pretty sensible.

Spadgey Sat 01-Mar-14 19:41:40

My 11mo dd is very enthusiastic using a straw sippy cup, one where the straws attached and it fold over when you shut the lid. Other than that she likes the bog standard tt cup like above and she likes a double handed nuby sippy cup as well.

poocatcherchampion Sat 01-Mar-14 20:00:13

we just used an open cup to start and a sippy cup for independence.

IMO everything else is a gimmick.
smile

WinterHasRuinedMyFace Sat 01-Mar-14 20:10:49

My dd (7mo) gets on alright with a lanisoh momma cup (one with a straw, bought it from Amazon) because she doesn't need to tip it up so far to get anything out. Also is quite happy with a doidy cup, but needs much more help with that.

Theyaremysunshine Sat 01-Mar-14 21:07:57

I mean this basic TT cup OP.

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 21:43:27

That's the one

Petal7 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:52:49

Agree that tt basic cup is the best. We tried loads and all 3 of mine have got on brilliantly with tt.

splashingingumboots Sat 01-Mar-14 22:34:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RalphRecklessCardew Tue 04-Mar-14 13:20:59

Ikea green & white one with handles. £1.50.

GingerDoodle Tue 04-Mar-14 21:23:31

My extensive experience now lol

Cow cup - very cute, leak proof BUT very hard to suck anything out of.

Nuby sippy cup - cute, leak proof BUT mine is a bugger to screw the lid on.

Nuby straw bottles & the similar ones for the next stage - Fab, by the far the best.

Oxo Tot sippy cup sets- A tad expensive although brilliant BUT all mine did leak after a while - that said, I complained and all 4 (no receipts, purchased from various places) were replaced without problem.

Tommie Tippie with removable valve - Really good although you have to remember to take it apart and the valve can fall if your DC chucks the cup on the floor - cue soaked child if you don't realise and give it back!

BertieBotts Tue 04-Mar-14 21:26:24

My DS struggled with the basic tommee tippee cup first. I got round this by offering it to him with a tiny amount of water in, holding it mostly myself and tipping it up so he could see the water coming towards him and he got the idea. Did this a few more times until he knew what to do and then snuck the lid on one day and tried it and no more problems ever.

He was about 5 months old though, not 10.

I found any cup with a valve was just too hard. I tried one myself and it made my gums bleed I had to suck it that hard!

BertieBotts Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:18

Oh - DUH sorry left out the important part. The first step was with the lid off.

Avacathar Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:44

I have tried every tommie tippie cup, which madam can be fussy with. I found Nuby to be the best one (she has one for nursery and one for when shes at home) I went out and forgot daughters beaker not long ago so picked up one in sainsburys - green with pink and its brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now