Talk

Advanced search

Comforters - should they have one at 15 months?

(15 Posts)
feesh Fri 28-Feb-14 18:56:58

I've got 15 month old twins and I've just registered them for nursery, and on the forms it asked if they had any special comforters or toys.

I feel a bit sad that they don't and it's making me question whether or not I've done something wrong!

They don't even have a favourite toy.

They both have Jellycat soothers, which they've had in their cot since a few weeks old, but we never take them out of the cot as I am so paranoid about losing them (both are old designs which Jellycat no longer make and which are irreplaceable). My girl twin loves hers and always grabs it excitedly at bedtime, but she's not dependent on it for sleep. Boy twin isn't really interested in his at all.

They have Taggies, which I brought when they were tiny, but they don't seem at all interested in them and they live in a toy box downstairs where they are largely ignored.

They don't seem to exhibit any comforting behaviours, no dummies, no thumb sucking, nothing. If they wake at night they usually go straight back to sleep without any need for soothing from me or anything else.

Should I be encouraging some sort of comforter to help with the transition to nursery? Or should I just wait and see if they develop any kind of attachments or soothing habits as they get older?

Minnieisthedevilmouse Fri 28-Feb-14 18:57:56

Dunno but my mates a surgeon in paediatrics and she has a blanky. She's not far off 40...

Minnieisthedevilmouse Fri 28-Feb-14 18:59:17

Ha! I didn't read properly and assumed. Doh! Mine doesn't either. I've encouraged a specific bunny for nursery. Not used anywhere else. Seems to work ok.

noblegiraffe Fri 28-Feb-14 19:05:27

Neither of mine had one. They were bfed past a year so that was probably their comforter. Never caused any issues!

mumofboyo Fri 28-Feb-14 19:39:00

I'd maybe wait and see if they develop an attachment to a special object rather than try to 'force' (not sure what word to use - sorry!) one on them.
My ds never had a comforter until aged 1 ish when I bought a book that came with a toy lion. Lion is now with him wherever he goes although as he's getting older he's relying on it less and doesn't bother with it at nursery any more. My dd has a cheap £4 teddy from Asda with a snuggly blanket in its arms that she sucks until it's soggy. She's still very much attached to this at 17 months although we do have 3 of them and rotate when they get too manky grin .

Melonbreath Fri 28-Feb-14 20:22:41

My 15 month old doesn't have a comforter either. Sometimes she goes to sleep clutching something but it varies. Sometimes it's a cup, a teddy, my hat, my husband's scarf, sometimes nothing.

she'll probably pick something in her own time, as will yours

neversleepagain Fri 28-Feb-14 21:19:40

My twins are 17 months and have had the same soft toys/comforter type things since birth. DT1 is very attached to hers and loves to cuddle them, DT2 is not remotely interested in any sort of comforter and throws hers out the cot.

I really don't think you need to introduce anything at all.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 28-Feb-14 21:24:35

I'd be gladgrin I live in fear of the day DS looses pooh bear, I cannot find another anywhere and life won't be worth living without it!!! Can you get GPS locators for soft toys?!

slightlyconfused85 Fri 28-Feb-14 21:57:02

I have a 16 mo who isn't the least bit interested in a comforter either. Only child I know without but at the moment she isn't interested. Also no dummy or thumb, and goes back to sleep alo.r in the night. Maybe they will attach when they ate older!

BubblesAreGreat Sat 01-Mar-14 05:15:19

When DD1 was about 1 yr old, a friend asked me if she had a special bear/blanket and I said no. She said she thought it was sad and I stupidly listened to her and encouraged DD to sleep with a sheep comforter she had been bought at birth. Fast forward 3 yrs and DD is bloody obsessed with 'Larry' and he comes everywhere. Over the years we have bought 3 replacements (and now have one spare) and we can only buy it in Belgium (where DH is from and we live in another country!). So, no, don't worry at all. It's a huge pain. DD2 is given something different to sleep with every night!

2cats2many Sat 01-Mar-14 06:06:34

My son formed an intense attachment to teddies he was given for his for his second and third birthdays. He is 5 now and he sleeps with them, they come on holiday with us as well as visits and sleepovers.

Dont speak too soon. It could still happen!

stressbucket1 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:24:28

Ahh they will have each other surely that's all they will need x

SpottyTeacakes Sat 01-Mar-14 06:38:51

Neither of mine do. Ds is 15 months and has to have an operation soon so I really wish he had one. They're both thumb suckers though!

Melon2312 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:42:35

My ds has never really been interested in any comfort items but he has recently developed a strong attachment to a particular wooden spoon! grin

Madlizzy Sat 01-Mar-14 22:45:09

DS1 fell in love with his Tigger that he was given for his 4th birthday. I have it here and DS1 is now 21. grin Don't worry about them not having one, some kids do, some don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now