Talk

Advanced search

Is this ok? Crying baby

(10 Posts)
Madratlady Fri 28-Feb-14 12:15:29

Probably a silly question but this is my pfb so please just humour me here:

If I leave ds wittering away to himself in his moses basket it won't do him any harm will it? I don't mean proper crying, just whingy/grizzly noises. He quite often goes back to sleep after a while. Obviously I don't leave him for ages but sometimes I'm finishing off whatever I'm doing/going for a wee/eating something and I leave him for 5 minutes till I'm done. I always feel guilty though (and still feel guilty about not being there whenever he cried when he was in scbu for his first 9 days).

I'm not going to end up with a child who thinks I don't love him because I don't drop everything at the first squeak will I? I have a sneaky suspicion that I might be being ridiculous even worrying about this.

Bridezilla3521 Fri 28-Feb-14 13:04:24

Don't worry, I'm sure he's fine smile if he's really crying then obviously that's a different story. My DD wakes up from nap and I can here her babbling away to herself so I leave her be for a few mins, she's safe and perfectly happy while I finish what I'm doing. She is my PFB so I know how you feel smile I was thinking the same as you but she's fine, happy contented little 7mo now!

ClaraFox Fri 28-Feb-14 13:06:06

He's fine and will continue to be fine smile

rootypig Fri 28-Feb-14 13:08:21

Better than fine, because ultimately he will know how to be ok without you (for short bursts, I mean, not months! grin)

TheJumped Fri 28-Feb-14 13:18:25

Absolutely fine. And better than fine - he's learning to self settle which is the single most useful skill (for you) he will learn in his first 6 months or so! wink

Madratlady Fri 28-Feb-14 13:43:27

Thank you, I won't worry any more!

MatryoshkaDoll Fri 28-Feb-14 17:12:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QTPie Fri 28-Feb-14 19:17:10

DS always used to "grizzle" to sleep (until he was about 2 or so): "grr. Grrr. Grrrrrrrr. Grrrrrrrrrrr... rrrrrr.... Zzzzzz".

From an early age - at night - we learnt to "feed cries" and "settle/shush/pat/reassure" grizzles. Worked wonders: DS slept through from 12 weeks.

monkeynuts123 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:23:13

If he is crying for you pick him up, if he's just having a little moan, let him have it. If a baby is soothing themselves back to sleep after a short moan then they never really needed you at the start of that cry if you see what i mean. It sounds more like you are haunted by his crying in sbcu, he has survived those tears and so have you.

PotteringAlong Sat 01-Mar-14 21:25:49

I agree, you know the difference between upset and grizzle. My DS did, and continues to, sound like a demented seal when he goes to sleep but I know he's not upset!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now