Talk

Advanced search

Good "new baby" book for a 7 year old?

(3 Posts)
RandomInternetStranger Tue 25-Feb-14 22:16:11

DD has been a very spoilt only child for 7 years with all the full attention and she may get a bit of a shock when the new one arrives, even though she has always said she wants a sibling! I know there's a lot of new sibling books for younger first borns but is there a good one for an older child? Also I think it will be a good way to start the birds and bees talks properly so something that tackles that as well would be good. Any recommendations? TIA! smile

TheArmadillo Tue 25-Feb-14 22:22:44

For sex ed I always liked "mummy laid an egg". It's very funny, but not to everyone's taste. MIL bought it for us as she had used it for SIL. Might be worth seeing if Amazon have a preview of it. It basically goes through the parents telling all kinds of crazy made up stories and then the kids correct them.

My ds was 6yo when we had dd. I never found a suitable book about a new sibling unfortunately as they all seemed to be aimed at toddlers. It was nearly 4 years ago though so might have improved by then.

RandomInternetStranger Tue 25-Feb-14 23:28:27

I've seen that book, it's quite funny! I'm not sure what DD would make of it, she's very factual and sciency and straight, I think she may prefer a more factual approach but I'll take another look at it. From memory though it was more about sex than procreation, I'm happy to explain that to her but also want to tell her about periods & ovulation & conception & birth. The good thing about being pg while she's this age is it's a great science lesson for her, I don't really have to dumb down anything now. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now