Talk

Advanced search

my son keeps asking for a puppy

(14 Posts)
united4ever Tue 25-Feb-14 09:30:03

4 year old son been asking for a dog for a few weeks now. Wife and I really don't want one. We live in a small flat (although moving to a house with small garden soon). The reasons we don't want one are we dont want dog hairs in our home and other dog related mess and smells. Don't want the obligation or time commitment to walk the dog everyday and general care and expense. Sound a bit harsh here.

So far we tried explaining that dogs can smell and need taking out when you are tired and its cold outside. How can we explain this clearly and effectively to a 4 year old so that he will understand and accept it? We also have a one year old daughter and i wouldnt be comfortable leaving a new dog in a rom with her.

sorry to all the dog lovers here.

AnyFuckerHQ Tue 25-Feb-14 09:33:53

Just say no

Eletheomel Tue 25-Feb-14 09:54:42

Agree with pp - there are always reasons to get a dog and reasons not to get them, bottom line is, neither you or your wife want a dog now (or at any time in the future) so no point beating round the bush (and don't mention dog hairs to a 4 year old - why should they care about that??) your house, you make the rules, you and your wife don't want a dog, so you're not getting a dog.

If there are any other pets you would allow, you could mention that (or suggest taking him to animal parks or visiting friends/family who have dogs he can spend time with) but if the truth is you never want any pets, then you're as well telling him, no point getting hopes up that things might change at some point in the future.

Doodle1983 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:52:01

I think it's responsible not to get a dog if you don't want one do don't apologise to dog lovers. I'd have a million dogs if I had the room but I'd be happy to look after them too. They are time consuming and expensive. I agree with the other just say No. And maybe settle on a goldfish to teach him about responsibility and life/death x

Kirk1 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:55:08

He's 4. Buy him a toy dog. I think you are very sensible not getting a dog when you're not prepared to give the commitment. If only there were more people like you we wouldn't need so many dogs homes.

17leftfeet Tue 25-Feb-14 11:57:03

No is a complete sentence you know smile

Catsmamma Tue 25-Feb-14 11:58:16

Just say no, honestly...he doesn't have to get it, neither do you have to justify yourselves to a 4 year old.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 25-Feb-14 12:00:06

There's nothing you can say that's going to make your dc give up hope of a puppy I'm afraid.

Dd1 is desperate for a dog. She knows all the reasons why we can't have one and she understands about time, space, money etc. But I can't and you won't (sorry) change their mind.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 25-Feb-14 12:00:37

Do you know anyone you could puppy sit for? Dd1 wanted a puppy for years. We fostered one for about three weeks a while back, after day 3 dd1 was begging to send her back to the rescue kennels.

Puppies are cute when you can hand them back.

Disclaimer: We did not send the puppy back until she found her forever home.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 25-Feb-14 12:01:22

I love dogs - but they are a family pet and everybody should want one. Could you sponsor him a dog at dog's trust or something?

sewingandcakes Tue 25-Feb-14 12:07:21

Just say no. You don't need to justify this decision to him. I'm a dog lover and you have given some very good reasons for not getting a dog; don't let him guilt trip you into getting a pet that requires such a lot from you - it's not like he's asking for a toy!

RebeccaJames Tue 25-Feb-14 19:51:53

If you want to say no but indulge him a little, there's always Borrowmydoggy.com! Might help the novelty wear off and for him to see the reality.

If it is any consolation, we have a dog but our five-year-old is not interested in her... He nags for a cat!

Jolleigh Tue 25-Feb-14 23:46:45

If there's any way of 'swaying' him to want an animal you'd be happy with having, everyone's a winner. A dog really is too much if the adults of the house don't want one.

Maybe try to subtly manifest an interest in a tortoise? Corn snake? Both are interactive, low maintenance, hair free, boy-friendly pets.

EverybodysStressyEyed Tue 25-Feb-14 23:52:48

I asked for a dog every Christmas and birthday from when I was 4. I really wanted a dog.

As an adult I can now see why my mum said no. And I don't have a dog now I have the option either! I'm not mentally scared because I've never had a dog.

Kids can't have everything they want - no matter how much they beg. When he asks just imagine he's asking for a t-Rex and give suitable response!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now