Talk

Advanced search

Sharing a bedroom with a three year gap?

(6 Posts)
MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 13:11:22

Just thinking ahead really as I am only newly pregnant with my second child but all being well, DD will be nearly three when the LO arrives.

She was in our room til about six months but as we have a two bed flat, I am envisaging this LO in with us for quite a bit longer.

Eventually, they will have to share, even if for a little while, and wondered if anyone else has room-sharers with a three year gap? How does it work logistically, when did they start to share, and if opposite sex, what is the max age they can share?

MumbleJumbles Mon 24-Feb-14 13:23:39

We have 3 kids, boy (6yo), girl (5yo), girl (2yo).

Our two girls now share a bedroom and it works brilliantly. However, before they started sharing our 5yo girl shared for several years with her older brother very happily indeed. He is now in his own room and the girls share.

I don't believe there is any maximum age for different sex siblings to share, its entirely up to you as a parent.

Our girls will share for another 5 years or so (will be approx 10 and 7 when they stop sharing) - we do have a 4th bedroom but its downstairs and I feel all our kids are abit too young to be left down there on their own when all the other bedrooms are upstairs. However, in 5yrs time our eldest will be starting secondary school and has already said he can't wait to move downstairs to what is currently used as an ensuite playroom.

Google 'shared children bedroom's for inspiration - we bought our 5yo daughter a lovely cabin bed for her shared room, she has an ikea canopy over it, plus her own girly den beneath. She adores sharing with her sister... she plays teachers at bedtime and our poor 2yo is subjected to various registers / phonics / readings / teacher tellings off whilst trying to get to sleep. Don't worry if they're different sex - I believe it can work just as well as same sex.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 17:15:35

Ooh good to hear a positive. Tbh if they are same sex we wont need to move at all. I dont want to move. But I will if required, once they get to an age where they just cant share.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 24-Feb-14 17:22:23

We have 2 girls with a 2.10 gap. I've been surprised by how well sharing works - it takes a lot for them to disturb each other, and my older one in particular loves sharing her room.

We moved the youngest out of our room at 6mo. We didn't put her straight in with her sister. Luckily we had a spare room, but if we hadn't, I would have used the landing or any other space where I could fit the cot, simply because I wanted her to settle into sleeping through (or something close to it) before going in with her sister, and I think it could be difficult to get to that point if they are sharing straight away. Neither of mine slept through when they were sharing with us, but did quite quickly once they out of our room.

But if you have to share straightaway, I'd be inclined to do it sooner rather than later. You think it can't possibly work, but actually, it does. I've had times where one of mine is ill and we've been in and out the room, they've been crying etc, and the other hasn't stirred.

georgesdino Mon 24-Feb-14 17:29:17

I have 6 year old, 2 year old and soon to be newborn in one room. They started to share from about 7 months and now go to bed in same bed cuddled up together. Dc2 comes out the room looking for dc1 and as soon as dc1 comes in shes out like a light.

They have shared a bed since dc2 was 16 months.

poocatcherchampion Mon 24-Feb-14 19:16:15

we have a small age gap but they are now just sharing. little un was 6 months on friday and not sleeping through. starting the night in with big sis who I'd nearly 2 then into us after first wake up anytime after 9pm... day 3 of me returning her to her new room after milks and she slept through. and last night too. smile smile smile smile smile smile it might be her sisters all night rhythmic snoring breathing that does it? any which way I am delighted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now