Talk

Advanced search

Moral Support, DS1 is spending his first night in own room....

(18 Posts)
SarahJinx Sun 23-Feb-14 21:08:44

.....he's 2.9, I'm 30 weeks pregnant so we really have no choice. It's heart wrenching though.

He was so excited and went off like a dream.

I'll get over myself soon won't I?

puntasticusername Sun 23-Feb-14 21:38:18

Aw! He'll be fine, and yes - you'll adjust. Of course you miss him, he's your baby (not that I imagine you can get away with calling him that, at his age) smile smile

theborrower Sun 23-Feb-14 21:46:58

He'll be fine! smile We moved house when DD was 2.8 - we had been in a tiny one bed flat until then, so was in our room til then. She adapted really well and was so excited to get her own bedroom. And slept in her own bed til morning!

SarahJinx Sun 23-Feb-14 21:52:31

Thank you.

No, it's all 'no mummy, my am a big boy' these days, hence the whole big boy bed thing was relatively straightforward.

He's been wedged into a far too small cot next to us since he came out of his Moses basket at four months. We love having him there.

I've been focusing on getting him in his new room before he twigs that the baby will be in with us, not once thought I might find it hard, more concerned about him!

theborrower Sun 23-Feb-14 22:25:59

We still use a baby monitor, even though she is in the next bedroom. Think it's because we were used to having her right there, we want to make sure we can hear her smile

SarahJinx Mon 24-Feb-14 21:02:08

Last night was ok, he went off like a dream, woke once for a drink (normal) and then upset at half five.

Tonight we've been up there for a hour, he keeps saying he wants his cot. I don't know what to do really. Have just bought him down.

Theyaremysunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 21:19:05

If I were you I'd move the cot into his new room for a while.

It's something I didn't appreciate when I took the bars of DS's cotbed when he as 2. The bars are a real comfort to them. What I should have done was just remove one side at a time and replace it with a low cotside until he was used to it and felt safe. I learned that the hard way though 6 weeks of hours of return to bed again and again and again

DS was fine the first night too.

May mean you need a new cot as 10 weeks may not be enough time, but you never know, and your new dc will be in the Moses basket for a while.

Good luck.

SarahJinx Mon 24-Feb-14 21:32:18

I hadn't thought of that....

We do have a cot bed, he's just never slept in it as it wouldnt fit into our room. I guess that's plan b.

He's currently fighting to stay awake on the sofa, plan is to transfer him once he goes rather than just let him go in his cot. How does that sound?

As for tomorrow....

Theyaremysunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 21:39:07

Once you transfer him back a little tip is to put the duvet on the other way round, horizontally, and tuck it well in both sides so they sleep in a sort of envelope. Keeps them feeling v secure, and stops them rolling out!

We use one of these which DS has on at bedtime to make him feel less alone. He also has a night light.

I'd stick with it but know it's going to take a while and lots of reassurance.

SarahJinx Mon 24-Feb-14 22:09:16

Thank you, seriously so so nice to get some reassurance. I took him up to my bed, he fell asleep and put him into his. He woke a bit, cried and said he didn't want to go in there. Tucked him in, sssh'd him and he's stayed, for now?

Will defo look into getting a night light, we have the hall light on for him for now. And have mentioned the cot thing to DP, so we'll see how we go from here.

If he wakes upset, in with us, back in his bed, cot...?

It's been a long time since I've not known what to do!

Theyaremysunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 22:29:48

Oh bless you, it's so hard seeing them distressed.

My dc are 3.5 and 10m and personally I think a fair bit of leeway should be given to a toddler imminently expecting a sibling. It's a very unsettling time for them. So I'd go down the softly approach, but keep him in his bed. So if he wakes upset I'd cuddle, reassure and sit with him, or ask your DP to sleep on the floor next to him (bit much for you at 30wks!).

I wouldn't go back to the cot, but i would comfort as much as needed. And major praise for staying in his big boy bed.

Also, does he have a snuggly/comforter? Or perhaps give him a special superhero/magic teddy to look after him and keep him company.

Roping in the grandparents can help too. Quick skype in the morning with exaggerated praise of how clever he is to be sleeping in a big boy bed...

Hope the night goes well for you. And good luck with dc2. It's hard work but watching your 2 babies together is undoubtedly the best of my parenting experiences. Mine laugh about things I don't even understand, it's wonderful.

SarahJinx Mon 24-Feb-14 22:44:04

See now you're making me teary!

I agree about the sibling bit. The whole thing is such a massive change for him, I'm trying to be mindful of that at all times right now. It's very hard I'm tired, spd is horrendous and I just want him in bed at nights so I can catch a break. I'm a selfish bugger!

I hate myself for it,I just want him to be ok.

Thanks so, so much for help and advice, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it x

Theyaremysunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 19:39:21

How did it go Sarah?

SarahJinx Tue 25-Feb-14 20:15:41

Hi!

Yes good thank you, he had a drink at 2 (the next bad habit to break but picking our battles and all that..) and I woke him at 7, all pleased with himself.

Took your advice and bigged him up to nanny and grandad, and he says he's sleeping there tonight.

I'm taking him up in a sec (late nap, can't quite get through the day without one yet...grrr) will report back.

Thanks again for your advice x

Theyaremysunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 20:35:03

Definitely one battle at a time! It sounds like he's doing really well. Hope it goes well tonight.

SarahJinx Tue 25-Feb-14 21:16:30

Went up and in his bed like a dream. We talked about how he can tell his teachers at nursery tomorrow about his big boy bed, and his friends. He asked me if the owls could 'get him' ,he obv a little scared because owls are his thing, we don't know why. He asked me to hold his hand for a bit and went to sleep in about ten mins.

Am so very proud of him...

Theyaremysunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 21:20:07

What a clever little man you have there! And very brave.

Really hope it continues to go well for you all. smile

SarahJinx Tue 25-Feb-14 21:46:09

Thank you Sunshine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now