Talk

Advanced search

Calling parents of dd's around 9

(10 Posts)
Notsoblonde Sat 22-Feb-14 13:03:57

Looking for some advice, my 9 yo dd is fantastic but am a bit worried about her she loves playing on mine craft and although she has time limits on it , she is very reluctant to go out and play, is this an age thing? She used to love being outside with her friends (saying that there aren't many kids her age around this area), what do your dd or ds do for fun in there free time? She loves brownies and has a few camps coming up, but apart from that isn't interested in any activities.

kimlo Sat 22-Feb-14 13:07:58

dd10 mostly plays in minecraft grin

she also reads a lot, and enjoys swimming

17leftfeet Sat 22-Feb-14 13:08:33

Yeah minecraft obsession is pretty normal

Dd went to her friend's the other day and when I went to pick her up there were 4 of them sat in a row on various devices playing it

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Feb-14 13:10:38

sounds like dd who is 10. She also likes minecraft - not just playing it but watching videos of other people playing it! She is also reluctant to go out these days but weather has been crappy (Scotland). She goes to a gymnastics class (for the exercise and social side as she isnt going to win any medals for it) and when ds has his swimming lesson she goes in the pool on the general public side. There are not many people from her class round us which doesnt help.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 22-Feb-14 13:12:06

Yes same here. Minecraft has taken over. Or, if not Minecraft, watching videos of Minecraft on YouTube. hmm

We put the oven timer on, when it goes ping Minecraft goes off and normal activities commence - drawing cartoon books (about Minecraft), playing outside in the garden, Lego, Swimming club, walking to the park etc.

BlessThisMess Sat 22-Feb-14 13:15:08

Another 9yo dd here who will spend as much time as we let her with a screen - Minecraft, Mario videos on YouTube, Skyping with friends, telly ... We have to make her stop and do other things which she does enjoy - just won't choose them first.

Notsoblonde Sat 22-Feb-14 13:16:59

Thanks for the replies very reassuring that it seems to be the norm, yes she watches videos of it too, I think the weather isn't helping either we are also Scotland, it's bliddy freezing today grin

Ilovexmastime Sat 22-Feb-14 13:18:27

I have another 9 yo obsessed with Minecraft. That was worrying me enough, but now he seems to spend more time watching YouTube videos of StampyLongHead (or someone) playing Minecraft than he spends playing it himself. However, he does after school clubs most days so I don't mind him playing it for a couple of hours in the evening. The only way to get him off it at the weekends is to go out and do something like a walk or bike ride though. I have to keep reminding myself that it's all about balance.

BeaHive Sat 22-Feb-14 13:32:24

DD is 9 and not discovered Minecraft yet but she does spend a lot of time in front of a screen. After being bored senseless at school, I reckon she deserves that time to unwind. However, she does spend at least half the weekend doing sport which she loves. I wouldn't allow so much screen time if it wasn't balanced out by physical activity.

BackforGood Sat 22-Feb-14 14:12:59

Mine are a bit older now but when they were 9, we always had a 'no screens in the day' rule in holidays and at weekends, so it prompts them to find other ways to entertain themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now