Talk

Advanced search

To make the DC try duck.

(23 Posts)
SpagBolgs Sat 22-Feb-14 00:32:57

My DH loves duck but will not let DC eat duck as it fatty and he thinks they wont like it and food will go to waste. DH and I have duck a lot and I was thinking of making crispy duck rolls for dinner and the DC can make their own wraps.

When did you first give DC duck?

steppemum Sat 22-Feb-14 00:41:56

I never cook duck, although I love it. I would let mine try it at the same time I let them try beef, lamb and pork!

It is fatty - but children should eat fat, as their bodies need it (unlike ours)
They might not like it - well that is true of any food, how will you know unless you try? Each of mine have things they don't like. There isn't any rhyme or reason to it (one won't eat couscous, one hates tomatoes etc) On the other hand they may love it.

Mine have all had duck - in chinese food and in France in cassoulet. They all love it

usualsuspect33 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:44:05

Err, let them try it?

ExBrightonBell Sat 22-Feb-14 00:47:02

You don't need your DH's permission to give your DC a perfectly reasonable food stuff. Especially if it's one that you both eat and enjoy, and that you're cooking anyway.

Is he normally so controlling?

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Feb-14 00:53:05

he is just worried that he will have to share his delicious duck, the greedy so and so.
reminds of my dad telling me he and his sisters ate porridge while their parents scoffed up bacon and eggs, claiming it was 'too rich' for them!
my children love duck and i am sure yours will too.

ZingSweetMango Sat 22-Feb-14 00:58:50

mine all had it before aged 2 and love it.

Don't see what the big deal isconfused

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Sat 22-Feb-14 01:12:32

Gave DS duck at Christmas - he loved it. Gutsy wonder went back for seconds.

Martorana Sat 22-Feb-14 01:21:17

Why not just let them try some of yours? Your dp's attitude is strange.....

UniS Sat 22-Feb-14 18:50:05

my 7 year old likes duck.Probably ate it first when he was 9 months ( christmas) He's never not liked duck,. Its not a staggering weird food, its just another of the meats we eat moderately frequently.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Feb-14 18:53:12

I don't give it to my DC, because DH, who is a great meat eater, has a softness for ducks. And rabbits.

Your DP is being a bit odd. If you both eat it, why not the DC? Your DH just doesn't want to share!

Sirzy Sat 22-Feb-14 18:56:16

DS eats what I eat - unless it is something one of us doesn't like of course. No idea what age he was when he first had duck but under 2 certainly

MothratheMighty Sat 22-Feb-14 18:57:11

How will it be wasted?
Or do today's parents not finish up what children leave (provided it hasn't been slobbered on)

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 22-Feb-14 18:58:14

If you're worried about food waste then you can always either make spring rolls with the leftovers or a few days worth of lunches with wraps.

Ds eats everything we do unless he'd tried it and hated it. If anything we try to feed him fattier savoury foods than we eat we do eat more chocolate and crisps when he's in bed. He's not yet two.

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Feb-14 19:01:46

Not sure when ds first had duck, but he's been scoffing crispy duck pancakes for years - he's 7 now

Grockle Sat 22-Feb-14 19:05:54

This is a bit odd. Let them try it, what's the problem?

DS has always eaten what we do - he's 8 and loves all sorts of things - duck, pheasant, olives, anchovies, capers, wasabi. If I'd not given him the opportunity to try things, I don't think he'd eat such a wide range of foods.

ShoeWhore Sat 22-Feb-14 19:07:17

Ds1 had it for Christmas dinner when he was 2. Never occurred to me it might be a problem tbh! He loved it.

If they don't eat it then surely there's just more for you? Sounds like either way everyone's a winner to me! grin

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:58:54

We all eat duck. Dcs are 6 and 4. They can try whatever they like.

LoadsaBlusher Sun 23-Feb-14 08:37:52

My little boy loves it. He had it when he was 2 , just because we were eating it too .
The fatty bits are his favourite , he is the same with pork will happily gobble up pork belly / chops etc
You won't know til you try ??

TheGreatHunt Sun 23-Feb-14 13:21:58

Natural fats are good for younger kids. That's why you don't give them low fat yogurts, milk etc.

colditz Sun 23-Feb-14 13:25:56

It's just meat and your husband is being greedy

QTPie Mon 24-Feb-14 00:15:05

We had crispy aromatic duck (hoisin sauce, pancakes, cucumber and spring onions) as part of dinner tonight - DS (4) loves it.

QTPie Mon 24-Feb-14 00:16:28

DS has been eating duck a good few years (before 2): he is half Chinese and crispy duck is one of those things that kids love to eat in Chinese restaurants...

trufflesnuffler Mon 24-Feb-14 01:36:07

LTB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now