Talk

Advanced search

How do you find the motivation to do things when the kids are in bed

(27 Posts)
Livvylongpants Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:46

Hi all,

It's 7.30 and the kids (DD 2 and DS 5months) are tucked up in bed.
How do people find the motivation not to just lounge on the sofa after the kids are asleep, I'm very good at keeping the house in a reasonable state and hoovering/washing/washing up is done before they are asleep so bar a last sweep of the toys I don't really need to do that (I could do the more thorough stuff but that can wait until weekends when DH is home)

I love sewing and everyday I think when the kids are asleep ill get the machine out.

Or I think oh tonight I will sort out our paperwork/junk cupboard/toy box etc

But I just cannot be bothered blush I can't sleep so early so just Lay on sofa MN/face booking/reading paper on phone etc

Is it just me?

OatcakeCravings Fri 21-Feb-14 19:46:14

I don't, I slump on the sofa and watch TV, it's what Sky Plus was invented for.

sallybenson Fri 21-Feb-14 19:48:33

Know how you feel. Wii controller was thrown into our brand new tv last week and it's actually made me do things in the evening. Spend more time chatting on phone than before but just got the paint brushes down from the loft today... you never know smile Maybe you should smash your TV too? Haha

sallybenson Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:01

Because we can't afford to replace the TV (should have mentioned)

southeastastra Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:15

easier when sun stays up longer!

PlinkyPlonker Fri 21-Feb-14 19:51:40

you have 2 (almost) under two. You win a prize just for getting to the end of the day, let alone having them in bed by such a civilised hour!

On the upside it does get better, I'm about 6 months ahead of you with DC 2.6 and 1.6 and in the past couple of months I've started a business and today I've signed up to do my CIPD and I've only found my energy has come back recently - small babies are knackering!!!

TippiShagpile Fri 21-Feb-14 19:52:05

Dh and I usually work when they've gone to bed to finish off work from during the day but that's duller than dull and hugely exhausting so I would say do nothing but chill if you possibly can. Enjoy the quiet time. smile

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Fri 21-Feb-14 19:52:21

That's so funny - I was just thinking about starting a thread asking if people felt they used to be more creative or productive before record tv and the internet. Every night I think I should do something 'useful' and every night I Mumsnet, Stumbleupon, Pinterest and watch tv. I just feel tired from entertaining and tidying etc all day.

mrsbug Fri 21-Feb-14 19:52:49

Dd goes to sleep at 8, I have a shower (don't get time in the morning) then go to bed. No time for housework or TV!

Livvylongpants Fri 21-Feb-14 19:53:28

I just feel guilty for being lazy, but I'm knackered, I should really sleep on this time if in
Not doing anything useful as the stretch from 7.30 - 1am is the only long stretch of sleep DS has, he's up and down every couple of hours between 1 and 5.30/6

FloppyPoppyCocky Fri 21-Feb-14 19:54:13

I sit on my arse and watch tv. I didn't realise you were supposed to do anything else in the evening!

Mintyy Fri 21-Feb-14 19:54:20

I don't. I view my evenings as doing absolutely nothing of importance times.

Eletheomel Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:47

I don't. I sit on the sofa, watch stuff on the recorder that we taped (live tv being a luxury these days) and eat chocolate and drink tea. Every night I tell myself I could use that time to prepare meals for the next day, repair my sons cowboy outfit, read a book, exercise and every night by the time it comes round, the sofa always wins.

However, I don't feel guilty about it, as often that sofa time is interrupted every 45 mins by 8 month old, so I just take the rest as I can get it!

Livvylongpants Fri 21-Feb-14 19:57:09

Plinkyplonker its take. A lot of hard work to get them both to sleep at a civilised hour, and I can be up anytime between 4.30 and 6.30 depending on if DS Wakes DD.
I'm
Hoping when DS starts sleeping through the night that I will start having more energy but to honest I doubt it, I'm a generally lazy person, I can't even be bothered to go to the kitchen to get my chocolate

PlinkyPlonker Fri 21-Feb-14 19:59:24

Ouch, any day that starts before cbeebies does is not good!

Meglet Fri 21-Feb-14 20:02:05

I force myself to do something while my dinner cooks. And I'm only allowed to watch junk TV after I've managed at least 30 mins OU work.

It's easier when the evenings are lighter though. I'm struggling with studying at the moment, hence just the 30min target.

Givenupontidying Fri 21-Feb-14 20:04:02

I run a small business, and a lot of it is done in the evening, so I have a slight incentive of thinking the more I work, the more I earn, but some evenings I really struggle to get off the sofa.

If I didn't have to though, I probably would very rarely do anything creative just now. Hope it comes more easily when the kids are a bit older.

Artandco Fri 21-Feb-14 20:15:53

Age 2 and 4 here:
-I usually work from home ( especially if iv not got much done in day watching children)
-Relaxing bath, hot with candles as glass of wine
- read

Ours don't go to bed until 8.30-9pm though. But does mean they will sleep until 9am, so I can either lie in or work 6am-9am also if needed

Livvylongpants Fri 21-Feb-14 20:25:04

See I'm much better in the mornings. I think like someone said up thread it's a daylight thing. As soon as its daylight I crack on. We go out everyday for at least 2-3 hours, I Hoover, wash, wash up, make beds, do all the drying and folding, clean all the sides and generally tidying away a million toys and playdough etc numerous times a day as well as looking after both children.
I can do this no problem when its daytime but can't even do a bit of lazy sewing when it's dark

perplexedpirate Fri 21-Feb-14 20:26:27

Give yourself far too many commitments! hmm
That's what I do. Then I run around like an idiot until stupid o'clock trying to make good on all the promises I've made.
DS is in bed for 7.30 and tonight I should be:
A) continuing my novel
B) continuing choreographing and practicing a dance I'm performing
C) writing a speech I'm giving soon
D) training for a race I've entered.

But I'm having a night off. Until the guilt kicks in, that is...

I'm a fool to myself. sad

Figster Fri 21-Feb-14 20:28:22

I'm the same every night I say in going to leap around for exercise, read a book, generally stay off mumsnet but every night I manage to sit on my arse. I'm getting very angry at myself

Willyoulistentome Fri 21-Feb-14 20:29:36

After the kids go to bed I drink wine and watch tv. Nothing else.

WoodBurnerBabe Fri 21-Feb-14 20:31:39

Mine are 6,3 and 14 months. All in bed by 7pm. My trick is not to try and do the same thing all the time, so I'm doing crochet right now - which means I watch lots of TV but I only recognise actors by their voice ��

Livvylongpants Fri 21-Feb-14 20:45:22

Peppa pig is on the telly hmm I've only just realised its still on lol

HelenHen Sun 23-Feb-14 10:35:17

I also didn't realise you're supposed to do stuff in the evening sad . I clean and shower during the day. Whenhe goes to bed, iI get my breakfast and his bottle ready for the morning... Then it's me time! Same with his naps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now