Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of dummy 4 month old

(8 Posts)
daisygatsby Fri 21-Feb-14 13:05:41

Has anyone any advice on this ?
I wish I'd never started with the bloody thing. Having to wake every couple of hours to put it back in at night. Is the best thing just to get rid of it outright at this age?

purplemurple1 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:22:03

I think its a bit young for CC or CIO so personally I would try to get him use to getting to sleep for naps without it and then try to get him down in the evening without it. Hopefully you will then find he doens't need it to get back to sleep in the night.

My ds is not overly interested in his dummy but I do find the more tired he is when trying to settle the more he wants it so getting him in his cot earlier is key to not using it. I#m planning to just take it away at 7/* months when ds is on proper meals and I'm hopefully more sure of his tired times - but best laid plans and all that I'll prob be back in 3 yrs looking for the dummy fairy!

waterrat Fri 21-Feb-14 14:46:39

I got rid at 6 months - best thing I ever did - ask yourself why you are using it when it is not helping him sleep and is causing you sleep problems as well. Its true that there were more tears at nap times - but I'm talking a few minutes not actualy sobbing or leaving to cry - so if you really can't bear that, you will have to think how you will get them to sleep.

The first night we got rid of it - he woke up twice before midnight - we patted him back to sleep - he slept from 11 - 5am, this hd NEVER Happened before. It was incredible - we realised the dummy was the main cause of his wakings.

I followed the advice of HV who had done training in sleep problems - we were putting the dummy back in constantly - she said get rid he wont remember within one night. it was true - the first night we put him in his cot at bedtime he was asleep within minutes without it - I had been absolutely dreading it! When he woke in the night, we patted him and comforted him - he was older - nearly 7 months - so we didn't pick him up - but perhaps at 4 months I would feel more comfortable with pick up/ put down/ shhh in his ear while cuddling to sleep?

Whatever suits you - you know your baby.

but seriously - ditch the dummies, they work for some kids - they gave us absolute sleep hell.

daisygatsby Fri 21-Feb-14 15:13:34

Thanks! Thing is she gets upset at nap times even with the dummy sometimes and it's certainly not giving longer naps. I don't use it to get her down at night but do use it when she wakes. I wish to god I listened to my own instincts and not used it rather than taking unsolicited advice! Will try and settle her tonight without and see if that works. Thanks for your stories

purplemurple1 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:52:56

Good luck!

mycatlikestwiglets Sat 22-Feb-14 10:17:36

Pretty sure the SIDS advice is that if you give a baby a dummy (which can help avoid SIDS) you shouldn't stop giving it to them until they're 6 months old. Will try to find a link, hang on a min...

mycatlikestwiglets Sat 22-Feb-14 10:21:09

Here you go: it's because the SIDS risk falls after 6 months

dellabob Sat 22-Feb-14 12:29:13

Same thing with my little girl, and tried to stop at 4 months but it was too young and she couldn't handle it. Just tried at 6 months after every 15 mins of putting in mouth all night! We went turkey and amazingly success- immediately. I just tucked in after feed, stroked forehead and waited outside door. It took 15 mins if going in, re tucking and quick stroke of forehead and she was out like a light. She had the best sleep ever!

Naps the next day were exactly the same, tuck in, stroke, 5 mins of murmuring and then out. I am consistent with this little process now and after 1 week it's still working.

Good luck, but for us , 4 months was too young

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now