Talk

Advanced search

Late start with tummy time

(18 Posts)
42andcounting Thu 20-Feb-14 21:29:23

DD is 4mo. She spent the first few weeks in hospital then we didn't really get going with tummy time until she was about six weeks (emcs, poor recovery, hard for me to move her around). She hated tummy time from the start, and screamed hysterically every time we tried so I will be honest I didn't do it every single day. Then at about nine weeks we had some family issues and life got a bit chaotic, and I just completely forgot about it until yesterday blush. I feel like a terrible mummy... have I damaged her development? And how do I get her back to where we should have been by now?

HelenHen Thu 20-Feb-14 21:33:47

Many of my friends didn't bother with tummy time as their kids didn't like it. We stuck with it from the beginning. At 19 month's there is absolutely no difference. Theirs were slower crawling but that seemed to be it.

BarberryRicePud Thu 20-Feb-14 21:35:57

Don't worry! DS hated tummy time and he screamed enough anyway so I pretty much ignored it! He developed just fine, crawled at 6.5m, up stairs at 7.5m, cruised at 9 and walked at 12m.

Being in a sling is a great alternative if that works for you. DS spent loads of time in one and got great head control from there.

If you want to do it though I'd recommend short bursts with you on the floor to so she can see you, and build up to longer stretches.

cathpip Thu 20-Feb-14 21:36:27

Both mine screamed blue murder when I tried tummy time, they are fine, both sat unaided at 6 months and crawled at 8.5 months and walked at 11 months smile

SmallBee Thu 20-Feb-14 21:38:00

pffft I wouldn't worry. I've been pretty bad at tummy time too as DD HATED it for the first three months but her neck control has always been fine and I don't think its made any difference.

TheScience Thu 20-Feb-14 21:39:45

I wouldn't worry, DS didn't like being on his tummy until he could roll over! I seem to remember he sat up at about 7 months, crawled about 8 months and was walking before his 1st birthday so it didn't damage his development.

VeryStressedMum Thu 20-Feb-14 21:41:59

I wouldn't worry, she's only 4 months and I wouldn't do it she really doesn't like it. Carry her upright on your hip as much as you can so her neck and back are strengthened.

HauntedNoddyCar Thu 20-Feb-14 21:43:24

Dd1 hated it and we didn't do it. She sat up early and didn't crawl. The HVs got on at me about the not crawling being because of not being on her tummy. When actually she just comes from a line of non crawlers.

I'm a paediatric physio. You're fine. Yes, from here, try to encourage some tummy time. If she hates being flat on the floor, try a rolled up towel under her arms to stop her being so low and help her get a better position for play, or try lying back on the sofa with her on your chest and encouraging her to look up at you, smile, coo, sing, whatever. "fly" her like an aeroplane, on her tummy in your arms, so she's holding her head up in that way too (though not developing the arm strength of floor time/ on your chest)

Two of mine HATED tummy time. Really struggled to persuade them into it, neither crawled which meant wobbly walkers who fell badly- though neither has great coordination/ balance either. One really took off with tummy time, crawled, is way better now (& twins, so an easy direct comparison!).

Honestly, don't worry though, she's still tiny!

Incidentally, I expect neither of my non crawlers would have anyway, but missing the crawling, being better at tummy time would have helped develop shoulder girdle and arm strength- very useful, the OTs reckon they can spot non crawlers from their handwriting!

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 21-Feb-14 07:31:47

My hv said not to bother before about 12wo. Remember though that holding your baby upright and having them lie face down on your chest (while you're lying down) count as tummy time too. Fwiw I never did it with DS as he was a projectile vomiting refluxy nightmare but he was still an early crawler/walker.

Eletheomel Fri 21-Feb-14 09:39:13

Both of mine hated tummy time, esp DS2. However, with DS1 I perservered and made sure he got some each day.

But with DS2 (and having DS1 to look after as well) given that he hated it so much I never bothered. He had lots of time on my chest though (as did DS1) so developed good neck control early from looking up at me, so I figured that was good enough. Now he's almost 9 months he can roll onto his tummy himself and back, but still doesn't like it!

Elderberri Fri 21-Feb-14 09:46:19

Never did it. Didn't even enter my head. Mine were Velcro babies.

jimblejambles Fri 21-Feb-14 09:46:21

You are not a terrible mummy. All 3 of mine hated it. We didn't do it at all. Ds1 hit his milestones exactly when he should, ds2 and dd both were/are early crawlers and walkers.

Melonbreath Fri 21-Feb-14 09:52:46

I never did tummy time as dd hated it. She still learnt to roll (but never liked it), crawl and is now running about all over the place

lola88 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:27:10

DS hated tummy time so we didn't do it he started crawling the day before 8mo and walked at 11mo was running by 13mo.

Doodle1983 Sat 22-Feb-14 01:47:10

at what age are you starting tummy time? My DS is three weeks and we've started it. He doesn't really kid it but better with a towel under his arms

MiaowTheCat Sat 22-Feb-14 19:39:54

Did it dutifully with DD1, and sobbed when she'd roll over to avoid it... she crawled and walked bloody late regardless.

With DD2 she was such a refluxer I didn't do it much if at all... bloody crawled like a rocket early on and is looking like walking within the next couple of weeks (again on the early side).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now