Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling out to mums with curly haired children...

(57 Posts)
ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:06:40

Bathtime is becoming increasingly distressing for my DD hmm

Her hair is long and very curly (she's only 2) I use kids shampoo and conditioner, then more conditioner, was out but then it's the brushing that's the ordeal, I use a tangle teezer.

She asks me not to do it, I have too but cries all way through "mummy it hurts, mummy no, stop it, please" it remains knotty and I know it must really hurt, breaks my heart.

Any tips??'

drinkyourmilk Thu 20-Feb-14 19:08:26

I use adult conditioner and comb through while its in his hair in the bath.

Sybilvimes Thu 20-Feb-14 19:09:00

I use an oil serum, argan I think it is. A couple of pumps smoothed through the hair, works much better than the tangle stuff for kids.

Elfina Thu 20-Feb-14 19:10:31

Only ever comb through with conditioner on. Plus, you may be washing it too frequently. Doesn't need doing every day smile

notapizzaeater Thu 20-Feb-14 19:10:36

Herbal essence, wet comb through and pour water over to rinse. Don't rub to dry, sort of wrap and then pat dry. Then tangle teaser.

Elfina Thu 20-Feb-14 19:10:52

Oh, and regular trims!

ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:10:53

Yes I use adult conditioner after, I've tried my argan too but didn't seem to help much...

BrianTheMole Thu 20-Feb-14 19:12:43

Regular trims. A few long layers help to thin it out a bit too.

glenthebattleostrich Thu 20-Feb-14 19:13:42

We use an intensive conditioner with argon oil in 3 times per week, or every other wash. A detangler from boots for called dark and lovely kids ouchless detangler is the best we have found. Leave in argon oil treatment is quite good but can make hair greasy looking and if we are going to be in a hurry the next day plaits for bed.

Its taken 2 years to find a regime for dd who is 3.9 and has long ringlet curls. We really have to stick to it too, missing treatments makes brushing her hair a nightmare.

ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:14:02

Thanks... OK so I don't usually comb in bath, what kinda comb just a normal large toothed one.

Missing a days washing causes it to just be more knotty and painful the following day.

I will try herbal essences

BeeInYourBonnet Thu 20-Feb-14 19:14:58

Regular trims, plait it as much as possible, wash once a week, brush when wet, get ear plugs .

ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:15:26

I don't think I could bring myself to cut her hair... Ever.

glenthebattleostrich Thu 20-Feb-14 19:16:11

Oh and brush in front of a cartoon, accompanied by smarties on bad days!

BeeInYourBonnet Thu 20-Feb-14 19:16:39

But you need to get the ends trimmed regularly. It makes a HUGE difference.

YouPutYourRightArmIn Thu 20-Feb-14 19:16:45

We've got a denman brush called the tangle tamer - it's brilliant.

I find brushing the ends first can help as then some of the birds nest tangles have somewhere smoother to move to rather than gathering more knots on the way.

I also put peppa on the ipad and section it off and do it in smallish chunks.

SauceForTheGander Thu 20-Feb-14 19:17:05

I use herbal essence bee strong. It's left on for ages. I rarely wash her hair just water and conditioner. A hairdresser recommended leave in conditioner afterwards too but I keep forgetting to buy it.

I use an adult flat brush - in front of her favourite TV show. Also use Argan oil.

ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:17:14

Glen sorry is the conditioner called dark and lovely? Which brush do you use? Do you leave the intensive conditioner in overnight? Yep ringlets here too, just gorgeous aren't they

Sybilvimes Thu 20-Feb-14 19:18:14

Also, try plaiting it for bed. It will get a lot less tangled if it's not loose during the night.

Artandco Thu 20-Feb-14 19:19:42

Are you sure it doesn't need cutting? My son has been having his cut every 6 weeks since under 1. It's still long like a blond Afro type. Brush in bath, then we use a leave in child's serum and blow dry

dramajustfollowsme Thu 20-Feb-14 19:31:22

My hair was curly and unruly as a kid and my dd has inherited my curls.
Agree comb in the bath. I have a cushion paddle brush which I feel is best in our hair.
Regular trims and when I was little my mum used to tie my hair up at night. This stopped it getting so tangled.

SauceForTheGander Thu 20-Feb-14 19:32:42

Tying up at night helps but sure that's obvious.

Barbamamama Thu 20-Feb-14 19:37:40

Hi OP! I've always had very curly hair and my mum has very fine straight hair and I have memories of screaming the house down when she tried to brush my hair!
Curly hair doesn't really need shampooing, you can just use conditioner. I never use a hair brush on my hair, and most people with curly hair don't brush their hair. Best thing to do is just rake your fingers through it while the conditioner is still on the hair.
Hope that helps!

HandragsNGladbags Thu 20-Feb-14 19:40:10

Tangle Tamer is better imo than the tangle teaser. Also leave in conditioner, tie it up as much as poss.

ElBombero Thu 20-Feb-14 19:44:11

Not washing is a fab idea, will start washing just 2/3x and the rest use water and conditioner smile it does need brushing though, just gets more and more tangled if it isn't done.

Hey just thinking about the old 90s perms and "Afro" brushes, wonder if that will help...

TarkaTheOtter Thu 20-Feb-14 19:49:22

I have a curly haired two year old too. I wash her hair once a week at most. Every morning I spray it with loreal kids detangler, then brush through with tangle teaser brush. Dd has never made a fuss whilst I'm doing it (and she makes one about pretty much everything else at the moment) so can't be that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now