Talk

Advanced search

Baby screaming

(7 Posts)
Bubblensqueak123 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:43:39

Hi, I'm new! Nice to meet you.

My baby is generally a content baby. For the first few weeks she was really chilled out actually, apart from a period at night when she would scream before bedtime, but in the day she was really relaxed. I decided not to follow any particular method of parenting but go with my instinct, which is to be as responsive as possible. She has been EBF since day one and is now 5 months. Feeding and napping are baby-led. However her cries tend to start at a really loud pitch. I'm worried that she is feeling something is missing. I keep reading about how if you're truly responsive to your baby they won't feel the need to scream. It's horrible having her get upset and frustrated. I suppose my question is does anyone else feel that despite trying to respond ASAP their baby still often screams? It's not just when she's sad - she does it playfully too!

Eletheomel Thu 20-Feb-14 11:01:02

bubble you sound like you're doing a grand job and I wouldnt' worry about the level of your baby's cry/scream - she's maybe just a noisy baby :-) The fact that she screams as loud when she's playing to me indicates that is just her preferred method of being heard, doesn't mean you've been ignoring her, she'd just found her own voice and it's pretty loud!

Bubblensqueak123 Thu 20-Feb-14 11:57:42

Thank you!! I guess I just feel a bit stressed and so wheat embarrassed that ppl might think I ignore her or something. When she's upset she arches her back in frustration too and the combo is pretty intense! She does get trapped wind and will occasionally get angry when I try to feed her as she's hungry but it hurts her but sometimes will settle quicker on someone other than me when it happens... Leaving poor mum feeling a bit rejected! I prob just need to develop a thicker skin!

Lozzapops Thu 20-Feb-14 12:41:18

My baby is 4 months old, and is a real crier. I want to slap people that say a baby should never reach the point of screaming. My daughter is fed, she's clean, she sleeps fairly well, she is kept entertained. She just cries a lot despite all those things. It's so hard, and I sometimes feel people are silently judging me (probably my own insecurity, rather than that actually being the case). I am hoping that when she becomes more mobile she will start to settle a bit.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 12:55:38

Has she been checked for tongue tie? Only my DS was a windy screamer and he had tt and upper lip tie.

Bubblensqueak123 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:37:34

Lozzapops thanks for sharing! It makes me feel better to know there's someone who understands, although obv I feel for you! I'm the same - maybe when she's mobile, weaned or both!

Jjj I don't think it's tongue-tie as doc has checked er for oral thrush etc and I think would've checked but she feeds well most of the time, just sometimes she gets angry!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 21-Feb-14 10:01:52

Unfortunately tt can be very hard to spot and many HCPs just aren't aware of it let alone know how to check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now