Talk

Advanced search

Newborn needs a poo!

(9 Posts)
Doodle1983 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:09:19

My DS is almost 3 weeks old exclusively FF. He hasn't been to the loo for two days. This isn't the first time it's been so long and have spoken to the MW for advice previously. However the poor Mite this afternoon is clearly trying for a pooh. He's cramming and his face is going bright red. MW said to give him a warm bath which me and DH did about an hour or so ago to try and get things moving.

Previously when he's been a while and then gone (usually a day or max just under two days) it's a very full nappy as you would expect not rabbit droppings which you woke associate with constipation.

He's feeding lots and lots of wee's - I just feel sorry for him when he's trying to go. Any tips ?

MrsCakesPremonition Wed 19-Feb-14 17:13:29

He will go soon - be prepared for the poonami. Don't leave the house without extra clothes for him and you and enough wet wipes to cover a football field.

Mine waited up to 2 weeks on occasion - I am not the woman I was.

Did you know that poo can be evacuated so forcefully that it shoots right up their back and comes out of their collar into their hair?

Doodle1983 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:22:26

Well he's just been! Perhaps posting on here was what was needed. Had the smell and consistency of mushy peas YAK. Sti be good to hear some tips tho ! X

dodi1978 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:22:44

Boiled cooled water can help. It did when my DS didn't have a poo for a while at about that age. Unfortunately, he then went at a cafe with a really rubbish changing table and had a good pee as well. Poopeenami! Took me ages to clean him, myself and the changing area up. I'm still keeping my head down whenever we are back at that place... If he hasn't gone in a day or so, it might be better call you HV or go to a weigh in, where you can also be given advice on such things.

wightjellybaby Wed 19-Feb-14 17:23:01

I found putting my dd on my knees facing away from me so she was kind of laying down but her head was proped up a bot on my tummy then wiggling her legs about (as if running or riding a bike) was good for her wind as she often 'followed through' . A gentle tummy rub but I was told to do it colckwise as this moved stff down and through and to remember alot of thir tummy is in the nappy so to rub going all round was good and double check the nappy is a bit loose on the tummy (not too loose its gotta catch whats going to out I made a mess with it too loose yucky!!). And finally lay baby on tummy over one of your legs and rub their back. This is what I had to do most days for my dd and her 'bellybums' it worked. Hope they work for your little one

Doodle1983 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:26:28

That's fair made me laugh mrs cakes. I have to say to say he's a teeny baby (5lb) and in regular newborn nappies it was all contained. I'd recommend ALDI nappies!

purplemurple1 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:29:14

Be extra careful measuing your formula to thick can cause constipation and maybe try a different brand if you find he often has problems. I found SMA went through my ds at quite some speed but our normal brand (I'm abroad) was much slower.

A little cooled boiled water can help, but maybe he is a bit to little for that so maybe one for when he is older/bigger.

Suzietwo Wed 19-Feb-14 22:33:20

Brown sugar in boiled water

Anothermrssmith Wed 19-Feb-14 22:42:53

This happened to my DD when we switched to formula at 3 weeks. Health visitor suggested putting an extra ounce of water in her formula to get things going again - so if giving a 5ounce bottle use normal amount of powder but put in 6ounces of water. After a couple of feeds doing that,along with putting her on her back and moving her legs like she was riding a bike really helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now