We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Night Feeds on Formula

(15 Posts)
VanillaCheesecake Sun 16-Feb-14 08:49:17

My DD is 10 months and EBF.

I have to go away for the odd night when I start work soon, so my DH will take over the night feeds using formula.

Since birth she has woken up at least every 2-3 hours for a feed, so DH is definitely going to have his work cut out.

I was just wondering how you actually go about giving formula at night? Do you have to go down to the kitchen and make up a fresh batch every time? Or can you make up bottles before bed and just give them cold?

I just have visions of DH struggling in the middle of the night... Kettle in one hand crying baby in the other......

Thank you!!!

Lj8893 Sun 16-Feb-14 08:53:11

We fill a thermos flask of boiled water and then just cool the bottle down in a jug of cold water. Or you can buy ready made cartons!

Jinty64 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:10:20

I used ready made cartons, took a sterilised bottle up with me and they drank it at room temperature. However I didn't offer any of mine milk during the night by he time they were 10 months. She should really be having enough food and milk during the day and is probably waking for the comfort of you feeding her. I would get DH to settle her without feeding or offering only water. If she has 3+ bottles of formula overnight she won't want anything during the day.

I bet he doesn't have it as hard as you imagine.

StormyBrid Sun 16-Feb-14 09:32:10

We make bottles when DD's gone to bed and stick them in the back of the fridge. Bit of trial and error working out microwave timings (turns out a four ounce bottle needs 44 seconds exactly, any more or any less and she screams). Dead easy now though.

lola88 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:16:50

I made them up put them in the fridge and then microwaved it to room temp so maybe 20 - 30 seconds then shake very well. I would only give 1 bottle of formula at night at her age or she may get an upset tummy from being so full I know this from experience.

Lj8893 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:33:06

Yes I meant to say that my dd is 16 weeks and only has 1 (sometimes none) bottle a night, I can't imagine a 10 month old would need any more than that a night.

Mamabear12 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:46:53

Have you thought about trying to wean her off the night feeds? At ten months old she surely does not need them!

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 16-Feb-14 16:02:05

We make bottles up, flash cool them under a tap and put in back of fridge. I warm them in a jug of hot water for a couple of mins.

I do this for day and night feeds (somebody shoot me!)

DS is 11 weeks old and is thriving so the method must be ok x

waterrat Sun 16-Feb-14 16:54:55

I would use cartons if you can afford it - no need to heat - room temp is fine

Agree that formula feed will probably mean less feeding - three bottles is a huge amount - I had a big feeder (bf) and had managed to stop night feeds around 8 months ...

Maybe a chance for him to try and reduce night feeds by cuddling back to sleep etc without milk? Give a bottle at about 11 then she wouldn't need more till at least 5am

blondebaby111 Sun 16-Feb-14 17:10:18

Am I a bit naive in thinking you can't make bottles up and keep them in the fridge. My midwife was adamant I shouldn't do this so unfortunately at times I do have a screaming baby in the night while I'm hurriedly trying to make up her bottle. Life would be so much easier if it was safe to do this. I got told it wasn't but is it health and safety going over the top again?? Xx

StormyBrid Sun 16-Feb-14 17:24:51

The official line is don't do it, lest bacteria breed in there. There are, however, guidelines for minimising risk as much as possible. Up to you if you want to take the chance. Don't know any numbers to quote you, but given how many people store formula in the fridge with no ill effects I'd guess the risk is rather small.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Sun 16-Feb-14 17:27:43

My DS was ebf but I weaned him off night feeds at 9 months because I was going back to work and was knackered.

Could you do similar?

I think if it's occasional it would be easier to use cartons - I think that milk powder in a tin has to be used in a certain time anyway so it's a false economy to buy a whole lot and then have to throw most of it away.

I agree she may not need 3 feeds of formula - Obviously make sure he has some available but wait and see!

Blonde, it's safest to make up fresh but the next best thing is to make up in advance and quickly cool. Don't make up with cool boiled water (although lots of people do because they have been told not to make up in advance and interpret this as "making up fresh") - it's really important for the water to be hot when the bottle is made up.

BarberryRicePud Sun 16-Feb-14 19:32:47

My ebf dd was still waking every 2-3 hours to feed at 8m, but I had to go back to work and like you, knew there would be nights when I couldn't be there.

I night weaned, extending time between feeds and doing anything to settle other than feed. It was a hard 3 nights, and then much easier. She's nearly 10m and still wakes 1-2x about 50% of the nights, but it's when she's teething/poorly, and she settles with a cuddle or calpol. Very occasional (once in the last month) cup of milk.

I'd seriously work on night weaning. You're not doing her any favours IMHO by continuing feeding at night, she'll just keep waking for it til you stop. I know how hard it is and how much easier and faster it is to feed back to sleep but IME it's the best way for all of you.

Oh and cartons all the way in answer to your question!

Good luck.

VanillaCheesecake Sun 16-Feb-14 21:20:12

Thank you for your replies everyone.

We are in fact trying to night wean, as this would answer my problem. We'll get there I guess...!!

I think ready made up milk sounds like a perfect solution for those odd nights. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now