Talk

Advanced search

Walking home from School on their own

(16 Posts)
WinterLover Sun 16-Feb-14 06:17:46

Just curious what people think is an ok age to walk home from school on their own.

The journey is about 10-15min, along a busy chaotic road at that time of the day with a lot of people milling around (90 kids in one year)

NickNacks Sun 16-Feb-14 06:19:05

9 in the case of my ds1. I think it's different for every child though.

Kezzybear Sun 16-Feb-14 06:47:23

Y5 but it really depends on the child.

WinterLover Sun 16-Feb-14 06:53:58

These are 8 and 7, so year 3. I really dont think the 8 year old is ready. She's away with the faries most of the time. Just didnt know whether to voice my concerns or keep my nose out. I just felt uneasy when I found out

NickNacks Sun 16-Feb-14 07:03:46

They're not your children?

In which case keep out.

WinterLover Sun 16-Feb-14 07:30:03

The 8 year old is my step daughter. her dad isn't happy about her walking home unsupervised. He doesn't think she's mature enough but he said he didn't know if he was just not wanting his little girl to grow up.

He just wanted some other opinions.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 16-Feb-14 22:18:08

DS1 was in Year 6 when he walked to,school alone, but it takes about 8 minutes and there are no roads to cross.

That said, not sure how I'll feel about DD when she's the same age.

NotCitrus Sun 16-Feb-14 22:46:17

Ds's school, similar size, only Y5 and 6 are allowed to go home alone, with parental permission. Though there are exceptions for some kids whose parents have asked and live nearby.

Walking along a main road I think would be ok, it's the crossing of roads that would be more of a worry.

ReallyTired Sun 16-Feb-14 22:53:16

I think that most 8 year olds are fine to walk home. Does she actually have to cross the busy road. Are there traffic lights/ a lollipop person to help her cross the road. There is nothing wrong with an 8 year old walking along a busy road. They have far more sense than a toddler. It is good preparation for when she has to go to secondary school on her own.

I think that it is good for an eight year old to be given a little bit of independence. When most parents were eight they were allowed to walk short distances on their own.

steppemum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:04:23

Many schools have some kind of guidelines (although they vary school to school) Ours is from year 4 with parents permission. Both ds and dd1 were easily ready to walk home at year 4, and because our house is close, I would have let them from year 3.

I think it varies enormously child to child, but I also think that some children can't do it, because they have never been allowed to go anywhere. We are very fortunate because we have a local shop and a library, and they have walked to both, so got used to it.

WinterLover Mon 17-Feb-14 07:09:37

talking with her yesterday she says she's not allowed to tell her teacher. We are at parents evening as soon as they go back after half term so her dad's going to mention it to them.

Yes she has to cross several busy roads, only one has a crossing patrol.

The drivers on that particular road aren't very considerate.

Thanks for all your advice/opinions. I'll relay them to her dad

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 16:54:21

Ds was end of year 4.

tess73 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:05:06

My kids are yr5 and yr3. I wouldn't let them go alone. I know DD1 will be getting the train to secondary school in a couple of years but by then she'll be 11.5, a big difference from today.

UniS Thu 20-Feb-14 22:35:13

my year 3 walks part way to or from school on their own occasionally. I say on their own, but there are that many other families walking same way that he always tells me he was chatting with x or y, so not really alone.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 21-Feb-14 22:03:39

Our school will only release year six children without an adult and with written permissiom from a parent. I think its the right age as nearly ready for high school.

17leftfeet Fri 21-Feb-14 22:07:45

Dd yr5 I would let if she didn't have to cross such a busy rd

They are putting in a new crossing at Easter so I'll let her walk then but she has to have written permission otherwise school won't release her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now