Talk

Advanced search

Spending on baby clothes

(33 Posts)
Serendipitous80 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:42:38

Hi Mums,

My baby is nearly 8 months old and I feel like all our money goes on baby clothes! What is normal to spend? She grows out of everything so fast but my husband thinks I spend too much!

Thanks smile

KatAndKit Sat 15-Feb-14 08:51:57

If you can't afford it you are spending too much, its as simple as that! She doesn't need a lot of fancy outfits. I would say a sensible amount for a child that age would be about 6 sleepsuits, 10 vests, half with long sleeves, half with short sleeves depending on the season, five pairs leggings for crawling around in, about 8 t-shirts, 4 cardigans, one snowsuit, one winter hat, two pretty dresses for going out in and two pairs tights. Plus a few socks and a pair of booties. I can't see why a baby would need more clothes than that. If you need to reduce your budget, primark and the supermarkets are the place to buy baby clothes.

bakingaddict Sat 15-Feb-14 08:52:47

Everybody is going to have a different idea of normal and it's going to be very different depending on your income but if you think you are spending all your disposable income on them and your DH has commented then perhaps it is too much. Look on ebay if you like labels you can normally get bundles of clothes relatively cheap or go to car boot sales but it's no point paying out for Zara, Gap, Boden or the higher end ranges at this age.

lljkk Sat 15-Feb-14 09:09:17

I spent extremely little. People were generous with gifts & second hand items, plus jumble shops & charity shops are abundant and stuffed with plenty of cheap stuff. You can spend as much or as little as you want in the end.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 15-Feb-14 09:27:59

my dd's have far to many clothes but majority is second hand. I tend to look out for things like next at second hand sales/facebook selling sites/charity shops and carboots as these wash well and have good resale value - normally get money back on them grin

used to use ebay but now postage is so high its often not worth it - unless its a bundle or local collection!

if u did want new h&m is pretty well priced and good quality.

a great thing with girls is dresses with tights, then when they get too short put them with leggings/jeggings grin buy dresses/tops a little big rather than just the right size.

I tend to buy short sleeve tops and dresses as these can be layered with long sleeve vests and cardigans as opposed to set winter/summer clothes. smile

bouncysmiley Sat 15-Feb-14 09:36:47

I think I only bought vests before dd was a year old! She was first child so friends and family were forever gifting clothes and after that mostly get them off eBay or charity shops. Clothes are only as expensive as you make them.

Notfastmainlyfurious Sat 15-Feb-14 09:45:41

Tbh I haven't found the first 2 yrs to be that expensive but that's mainly down to how much we were given and grand parents. I usually check out sales and buy ahead, got most of her winter clothes for this year in John Lewis sale last Feb. There is always a sale on somewhere. Add to that nct sales where you can get brand new stuff at bargain prices and there's really no need to spend big.

Serendipitous80 Sat 15-Feb-14 09:48:37

I don't think I'm buying lots of expensive things (some though, I admit). I think she is just growing so fast and I'm buying every month. I don't like to put her in too small clothes. I'm buying everything a few sizes up now, although she is a lot taller and bigger than average for her age anyway.

Unfortunately we haven't had any hand me downs or even very many clothing gifts. People buy toys (when we have too many) despite stating this! I've found that people only like giving newborn clothes!

I've just joined a clothing Facebook site to have a look, thanks all smile

mustardtomango Sat 15-Feb-14 10:05:18

Have you tried local nct nearly new sales, or better than that, Mum2mum markets? The latter near here are great, parents selling their own goods and the quality is great. Not all items have been worn, and v good prices (ie £1/item). Ds is 4 months and growing fast, I reckon we'll spend about £30 every couple of months to keep up with him

Scrounger Sat 15-Feb-14 10:59:30

I was going to suggest Nearly New Sales, there are always loads of really good quality baby clothes going really cheaply.

staverton Sat 15-Feb-14 11:05:42

Yes have a look on NCT website for sale nearest to you- there should be one coming up around feb/mar/apr

Worriedthistimearound Sat 15-Feb-14 11:14:22

YY to nct nearly new sales. I've just sold all the boys' lovely boden stuff there. All those £20 t-shirts are still in ex cond even though most have been through 3 boys and I sold them for £1 each. The boden winter coats for £4 each. Plus loads of JL stuff at £1 each. Almost everything I saw there was at least of very good quality and mostly going for £1 a piece.

CointreauVersial Sat 15-Feb-14 11:19:41

NCT Sales. And while you're at it, why not get a table yourself and sell some of the stuff she's grown out of? Especially as you say it hasn't had much wear. Then you will have a little windfall to spend on new stuff. Win win.

Geneticsbunny Sat 15-Feb-14 11:21:38

Ebay?

meglet Sat 15-Feb-14 11:25:21

If people buy you too many toys can you keep the packaging on and exchange them for vouchers so you can buy things you do need? Supermarket toys could be exchanged for clothes.

I had to do the opposite when dd was born and we were flooded with baby girls clothes, I just took it all back and changed it for things we needed.

And NCT sales are great for baby clothes. Our always has loads of baby stuff, and always more girls clothes than boys clothes.

StuckOnARollercoaster Sat 15-Feb-14 11:59:26

Hardly buy anything for my 8 month old. Probably has about 8 sleepsuits and 8 vests, 4 or 5 cardigans and about 8 daytime outfits (dresses, leggings, etc)
Half are probably gifts, quarter are second hand things I've spent pennies on and a quarter are new bits and pieces.
She's growing normally (according to growth charts) and I find clothes have a bit more wear than the months on the labels, e.g. started putting her in some 3-6 when she was a couple of months old, and some still fit now, even though anything new I get now I go for the 9-12 month size.
One thing I do notice is that she clearly gets a lot of wear from her clothes, whereas she has some friends who must have massive wardrobes of clothes for their babies because they're always in something different. (I was a bit like that in early days because we were gifted a hell of a lot of newborn things that I wanted to at least get worn a couple of times).

neversleepagain Sat 15-Feb-14 12:19:18

My twins are 16 months and they have 5 sleepsuits, 8 vests, 5 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of tights, one pair of jeans, 5 leggings, 5 long sleeved shirts, one cardigan, two dresses, one jumper, raincoat, coat, hat, one pair of shoes...each, and that is it. I buy all their stuff in Next whenever there is a sale on. I try to buy one season ahead so now I am buying and putting stuff away for 2-3 years. Whenever I see something on sale i get it and keep a note of what I have bought already.

Serendipitous80 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:31:21

I haven't been to an NCT sale, no. I heard about one where I live after it had been and gown. I will have a look on their website, thanks. The charity shops where I live don't have anything decent. I have looked but it all looks so worn.

I have taken some toys back, but it's a bit awkward when people ask where they are! Oops!! I think my Mum is the only one who understands that my dd doesn't need any more toys. My Mother in law is terrible for it. We've told we but she doesn't listen :/

Scrounger Sat 15-Feb-14 12:42:10

I also go to a second hand shop but the clothes on sale are Boden / GAP / Joules / Polarn and Designer and in really good condition. The value is great, £10 for a GAP coat that my DD will get two winters use out of and it was in excellent condition. I will sell it on for £3 / £4 at a NNS too. Have a look on local mums facebooks etc - where I am there is a website with things to do with the children inc where to get clothes etc.

Serendipitous80 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:51:53

Meant to ask what age the NCT sales sell clothes upto? As my baby is just going into 12-18m clothes. We do have a local website and I did buy a bundle, but the clothes were so worn. It was false economy really. My husband collected them and didn't even check the quality!

IShallCallYouSquishy Sat 15-Feb-14 13:01:38

Until my DD was about 18 months old I would buy her something probably every week or so as well as her having the clothes she was given at Christmas/her birthday and the bulk buy of next size up I would do in the next sale. She is petite and we do get a lot of use out of clothes so an age band of clothes would last her 6 months rather than 3 etc so I reckon overall I'm spending the same as if she grew out of a size in regular timeframes.

Buy however much you want/can afford.

She's 21 months now and the only reason I'm reining it in is because DC2 is due in 2 weeks and I'll need to spread money for clothing between the 2 of them.

staverton Sat 15-Feb-14 13:14:18

Nct sales up to about age 5 or even 6 years old. Where are you OP?

Serendipitous80 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:29:19

Thanks staverton. I'm on th Wiltshite - Hampshire border. Closest place people would know is Salisbury.

GingerDoodle Sat 15-Feb-14 13:38:57

tbh if they are outgoing then obviously you need to clothe them! Just depends on in what and where you get it from. Shop prices are excessive when you consider the amount of material in outfits - local Facebook pages, charity shops and nearly new sales are good for cutting costs.

You could also ask for vouchers for birthdays and christmas from family!

purplebaubles Sat 15-Feb-14 13:41:16

FB selling pages are your friend. Massive bundles for £10.

I spend hardly anything on baby clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now