Talk

Advanced search

Night in hotel - by myself?!

(44 Posts)
RebeccaJames Fri 14-Feb-14 20:03:32

After 10 weeks of dire sleep deprivation (still on 5-8 wake-ups a night) I am thinking of disappearing to a hotel tomorrow night by myself.

DH is going to have the baby, but stay awake downstairs with him as he is afraid he won't wake up if DS2 screams and also can't co-sleep with him as I am doing for fear of rolling on him.

I really want to do it - I DREAM of doing it! - but I think I feel too guilty. For both DH and DS2. I'm desperate for a full night's sleep, but should I go? Can't stay in the house and just go in spare room as it's a small house and if I can hear DS2 I won't sleep.

What do you think?

neversleepagain Fri 14-Feb-14 20:08:39

I did just that when my twins were 13 weeks old. I spent one glorious night in a hotel on my own and my DH and DM looked after the babies. I had a long soak in the bath and slept from 8pm-10am. It was heavenly.

I had to as I was at breaking point. If you think it will help then do it and try not to feel guilty about it smile

NaffOrf Fri 14-Feb-14 20:09:19

Of course you should go. You really don't need permission. Enjoy!

potatofactory Fri 14-Feb-14 20:11:06

Do it! No question - the baby will be fine!

puntasticusername Fri 14-Feb-14 20:12:23

Do it. You wouldn't be contemplating it if you weren't desperate enough to need it, IYSWIM.

Your DH sounds like a hero for volunteering to stay up all night with DS! I don't know if it's the best plan, though. For one thing, is he absolutely sure he will be able to stay awake? Presumably, if you have a young baby he's pretty tired already. It might be a good idea for someone else to stay with him?

For another, surely it will ruin your morning-after if you're thinking you need to rush home to relieve your DH cos he'll be dropping with exhaustion by that point.

Is there anyone else who could take DS overnight so that you can both rest?

darkdays Fri 14-Feb-14 20:13:43

Twins here also, I have longed to do that for so long. Do it, you won't regret it.

mrsbug Fri 14-Feb-14 20:14:29

Do it! I dreamed of doing this but dd wouldn't take a bottle sad

andadietcoke Fri 14-Feb-14 20:16:33

Oh my goodness. That sounds heavenly. I'm obscenely jealous. My DTs are 24w and I dream of doing that. I just told DH what you were doing in a dreamy voice and I think he may now be googling hotels. I will take back all my muttering if he finds somewhere.

Do it. You'll feel better for it. Don't feel guilty, you're doing it so you can get through the next ten weeks. Enjoy.

RebeccaJames Fri 14-Feb-14 20:38:23

I take your point puntasticusername but I think DH will be ok. He is sleeping beautifully in tbe spare room every night and his only contribution so far has been to take DS2 at 5am a couple of times when I am so frustrated that I stop throwing closed-up dirty nappies at the wardrobe (not poory ones!) and start contemplating throwing the baby (joke! But you know what I mean!). He will put Baby's pod on the sofa next to him and just sleep leaning back, when Baby sleeps, so he's not too deeply asleep.

andadietcoke I so hope my post results in a hotel booked for you! Your post really made me laugh.

It does sound heavenly, doesn't it?! I so want to do it. I am practically salivating at the thought. I just fear that when push comes to shove I will pike out.

RebeccaJames Fri 14-Feb-14 20:40:41

Btw I am doing both BF and FF so I would have to take a breast pump with me.

Millionprammiles Fri 14-Feb-14 20:43:13

Do it. I did this regularly after months of hourly wakings. (Dd didnt sleep better until around 10 months). Lastminute.com was my best friend and I got some bargains. I came back feeling slightly more sane and able to cope.

Take some nice food, watch tv in bed and take a sleeping pill if you think you're going to be lying awake worrying about your ds2. He will be fine, don't worry, you need some rest.

RebeccaJames Fri 14-Feb-14 20:44:57

And pooey, not poory! Stupid predictive text. Poory isn't even a word.

joanofarchitrave Fri 14-Feb-14 20:47:16

Of course go! And book another one for a few weeks' time (perhaps at a friends' if you can't afford the hotel again). But tell him not to be so ridiculous about staying awake. As you can let him know, babies will tell you if they need you - he will hear them.

Not such horrendous times as yours but I still have blissful memories of my 36 hours by myself when ds was small - a 15 mile walk, 5 hours in the bath, 14 hours' sleep. Made a new woman of me.

jennifleurs Fri 14-Feb-14 20:50:08

It sounds effing fantastic I wish I'd done that when my LO was a baby and I was BF at the end of my tether with days of no sleep!

Baby will be absolutely fine and it will do y I u the world of good!

puntasticusername Fri 14-Feb-14 20:53:27

Ah, cool. In that case - go! Don't look back! Feel no guilt! Every time you contemplate feeling guilty, look at the wardrobe and ask yourself if you'd really rather be throwing a nappy at it?

Enjoy. V jealous here. 8 week old DS, totally scrumptious but ebf and won't take a bottle, so I'm going nowhere for the foreseeable smile

KingscoteStaff Sat 15-Feb-14 07:26:40

Yes, do it, but make it very clear when you'll be back - if he's expecting you back at 8 and you're aiming for 11 there might be tension.

You need to not set your alarm and just sleep until you wake up. Remember that?

Actually, in a perfect world, you'd get your sister to pop in at 8.30 to offer moral support until 11 when a new glowing you arrives.

Mamabear12 Sat 15-Feb-14 07:42:41

omg, i wish i could do that! seriously...would LOVE to spend one night in the hotel and have a soak and good sleep. actually, i would love two nights!

RebeccaJames Sat 15-Feb-14 11:21:13

Last night wasn't too bad (3 wake-ups and no closed-up nappies hurled at the wardrobe smile, but now I am losing my nerve! Just feel sorry for DH, and for Baby who has always had me right next to him at night. Won't he get upset if I am suddenly not there?

Still going to try but my stupid mummy-martyrdom might kick in!

GingerMaman Sat 15-Feb-14 11:57:57

Do it! smile

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 15-Feb-14 12:06:28

No, he won't be upset. He'll miss you, but he'll have daddy right next to him, and a resorted and happier mummy coming back to him.

You deserve this, go for it.

HelenHen Sat 15-Feb-14 13:49:41

If you don't do this now, you will never do it. Dh is a grown man and knows exactly what he is agreeing to. Itmay be a tough night for him but iit's only one night and after that he can go back to sleep in the spare room. If you keep going on about mammy martyr and end up not doing it, I will actually be annoyed grin . It's one night!!!!!!!!! Now off you go smile

RebeccaJames Sat 15-Feb-14 20:01:25

Ladies, I have done it! I am checked in, my bath is run, the crisp linen of the bed awaits.

Thanks for encouragement. I am missing bubba but telling myself he is safe in the arms of his daddy, who will muddle through the night. Even if it's carnage... Boo hoo! I've had 11 weeks of it!

It's just me, my breast pump and a delicious-looking bed...

GingerMaman Sat 15-Feb-14 20:03:23

Enjoy it Rebecca! smile Let us know how it goes

FlyingDucky Sat 15-Feb-14 20:10:21

Sleep well, remember to switch your phone off!

HelenHen Sat 15-Feb-14 20:35:30

Aww enjoy smile and yep, phone off! Have a wonderful night grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now