Talk

Advanced search

My toddler seems so unhappy and angry at the world.

(9 Posts)
Whirliwig72 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:08:09

DS2 is 2.5 years and is going through a really hard time at the moment. Everything seems to upset him - I'd say he's grumpy or angry a good 60 % of the time. He's really aggressive hitting or biting me, his older brother and other children for little or no reason. He was recently assessed for his 30 month check and he has a significant speech delay so I wonder if it could be related? Other than that he seems healthy - he is very faddy about food but he still bf's (I really want to stop but he doesn't! smile ) and he is a good weight so I'm not too concerned.
His older brother (5 yrs) has an ASD but is super literate and talks non stop so maybe this is frustrating for him. This seems more than just toddler tantrums to me but I could be wrong? What should I do?

violator Fri 14-Feb-14 17:27:17

No advice, just sympathy.
My DS is the same age and has excellent speech yet is like a whirling dervish of late. It takes nothing to set him off. He has got himself into a terrible state screaming and roaring for no reason, when asked what's wrong or what he wants he will respond "I don't know."

Sorry if that's no help to you, just wanted to reassure you that other 2.5 year olds are similar.

Goldmandra Fri 14-Feb-14 17:30:54

Have you done the M-CHAT test for him? It might give you an idea of whether you should request an assessment.

Selks Fri 14-Feb-14 17:36:11

Has he had his hearing thoroughly checked?

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Feb-14 17:37:20

How much sleep is he getting?

TheGreatHunt Fri 14-Feb-14 17:38:57

I was going to suggest hearing. My DS got quite bunged up in his ears (GP described them as dull), due to mucus build up from colds over the winter period. It took a few visits to different doctors before this one spotted it (I was concerned as he didn't seem to hear properly).

This could explain his moods and speech delay.

Whirliwig72 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:27:25

Great wisdom here - thanks all. The HV said his hearing was fine at his recent check but it may be worth us investigating bit further. Sleepwise he goes to bed around 8 wakes a few times in the night (still) then wakes for the day about 7.00am - he normally also sleeps for at least 2 hours in the day. I'll definitely try the M-Chat assessment.
Thanks everyone for the morale support.

princesspants Sun 16-Feb-14 22:19:49

I think it's his age and lack of sleep. Sleep is massively important to LO's. I have 3 and I know that if for some reason they don't get their 12 hours plus naps (smaller ones) they are evil! Completely different children.

If a two year old is up through the night then they will be really grumpy. It will ease up once he starts to sleep and once he is too old for naps.

My 3 sleep through the night but my DD dropped her naps at just turned 2 and she was just as you described until she was 3 and no longer needed naps.

TheGreatHunt Mon 17-Feb-14 11:43:01

Have you ruled out any medical reason for the eakings as that's quite a lot? Eg does he snore, have ear trouble (did the HV look in his ears?), have any food intolerances?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now