Talk

Advanced search

Cradle cap in 10 week old with masses of hair, how to treat?

(23 Posts)
Hotmad Thu 13-Feb-14 16:29:53

We tried olive oil but I couldn't really get it to scalp as she has so much hair!! I'm using dentinox which I've used twice so it's not done anything so far, how long would it take to work? Any ideas for a baby with lots and lots of hair!!??

JollyGolightly Thu 13-Feb-14 16:32:36

Just leave it. It's not harmful and if she has that much hair it won't be visible anyway.

Domple Thu 13-Feb-14 16:34:26

I second leaving it, it will come off in time.

I had a really hairy baby and over time it went!

shentok Thu 13-Feb-14 16:42:53

a friend gave me a boots own brand cradle cap cream and it worked a treat. you may have to apply quite a bit if she has lots of hair. With ds1 we used dentinox but it got in his eyes once and he screamed the house down sad we then left it but at 3.5 he still has evidence of it on his scalp. as previous posters have said, the hair does cover it but I do wish I jad known about this cream for him.

Hotmad Thu 13-Feb-14 17:17:04

Yeh it obviously doesn't bother her but I t

Hotmad Thu 13-Feb-14 17:17:53

Dam phone!! But I think it makes her scalp smell weird, will it go away by itself then?

BarberryRicePud Thu 13-Feb-14 19:24:31

No, not necessarily. I have several friends who've just let it and I think it's a shame to be honest. Uncommonly it can even lead to hair loss in those areas.

Personally I never found that olive oil stayed on well enough. Waitrose baby bottom butter however, is a phenomenon. It's basically just olive oil in solid form. No nasties. Put it on thickly, right down to the scalp. Leave overnight. Use a soft brush and brush backwards, against hair growth, gently. Wash with burts bees shampoo. Repeat every night for a week.

Gone.

kimlo Thu 13-Feb-14 19:46:32

dd2 had very bad craddle cap, so bad that people would look at her and ask what it was. Even the health visitor said she had never seen it come so far down before, it came down further than her eye brows shock

because it came so far down I couldnt really use a shampoo but the boots own cream worked really well.
She was left with a tiny bit on her scalp but I discovered recently that a nit comb gets rid of it grin

Eletheomel Thu 13-Feb-14 21:18:57

We left it as it was meant to go away and our son is 4 years old and still has cradle cap - I wouldn't leave it.

In fact when DS2 starting showing sings of cradle cap at 2 months, we started using dentinox straight away and we're still doing so at 8 months (it totally cleared it up, we got complacent, it snuck back in so we're just doing it as routine now).

Grittzio Thu 13-Feb-14 21:28:31

I would treat, my 5 yr DD still gets it, I did try leaving it but when I did eventually treat some of her hair came out and she was left with a big bald patch. We are back using Dentinox every hair wash, and to keep nits at bay, i condition her hair and use a nit comb weekly, this also helps with keeping the cradle cap away.

MyNameIsSuz Thu 13-Feb-14 21:33:13

Coconut oil is great! Sadly the only thing that worked for me was covering his head in the stuff then rubbing it gently with a corner of muslin, which made all his lovely hair fall out. It grew back though! Now he's a bit older I use Dentinox just to keep it at bay.

callamia Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:38

I covered with Vaseline during an early morning feed, and then bathed a few hours later. Most of it just combed out gently, with fairly minimal hair loss. I then carried on with weekly dentinox, but it's pretty much clear now.

NeatFreak Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:47

I second/ third suggestions of the boots cradle cap cream- beware it is hard to find in smaller branches though!

starlight1234 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:39:26

My Ds was born with no hair, no eyebrows...and read somewhere brushing hair can stimulate the oil follicles...so started brushing his bald head with a baby brush..this really seemed to help

Teaandflapjacks Thu 13-Feb-14 21:41:54

I had this with mine - I slathered on baby oil and then put a little hat on top for a few hours. Then washed in bath as per usual and combed out very gently - and repeat every couple of days. It stopped her hair growing properly and smelt awful! I also used a muslin to kind of 'dust' after combing.

kiwidreamer Thu 13-Feb-14 23:27:24

I've heard good things about Coconut Oil for cradle cap, you find it at the supermarket and its solid (in a jar) but will warm up in your hands, smells nicer than Olive oil too I bet!!

HabitualLurker Fri 14-Feb-14 16:04:23

Hmm, we tried coconut oil at first and to be honest it didn't much help. I didn't want to resort to 'chemicals' (i know, I know blush) but he used to scratch his head when tired and it was starting to get scabby and sometimes bled. So we used Dentinox and it did the job pretty quickly.

I've now got a jar of coconut oil that I've been using up as a body moisturiser. It's quite nice for that!

PissesGlitter Fri 14-Feb-14 16:08:09

It has been quite a few years since I done it but we used Johnstons baby oil
I put it in at night before bed and washed it off in the morning
Worked great

DipMeInChocolate Fri 14-Feb-14 16:09:36

We left it apart from the dentinox shampoo, but was still there at 18m. Finally tackled it by basting her in olive oil throughout the day and used a baby comb before bathtime. Got the majority out.

starfishmummy Fri 14-Feb-14 16:26:00

Kimlo - DS still gets patches at 15. I lather his head in conditioner and then use the nit comb!

(he is disabled which is why I am still washing his hair)

starfishmummy Fri 14-Feb-14 16:30:02

Hotmad - you do need to make sure that you are getting it down to the scalp rather than on the hair. Don't know how old your baby is but I used to wrap DS in a shawl or blanket to help contain the wriggling and then apply boots cream while he was on my knee for a big cuddle.

starfishmummy Fri 14-Feb-14 16:31:10

Oops just spotted age in the thread title!

PurplePoppySeed Fri 14-Feb-14 19:46:52

My baby's hair was really think until about 16 weeks when it started falling out - took me a while to realise it was the cradle cap causing hair loss. Detinox does work - you have to do 2 applications -1 straight after the other every day. It took about 4/5 days before it made an obvious difference & at 21 weeks I've just about saved a little bit of hair at the front and its gone. But I left it too long before treatment and regret that as my babies gone bald at the top now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now